Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 firmware update

johnrmoyer
Mentor
Mentor

I hope this might be useful information for someone

I updated the firmware on my EOS R5 from 1.5.0 to 1.5.1. I used the Canon EOS Utility on an iMac to do it.

After the update, it did not recognize the lens attached to the camera until I turned if off and back on again.

The auto focus did not seem to be working right to me and did not look right in the viewfinder. I switched from C3 to C2 and then back to C3 and then everything seemed back to normal.

I also removed the battery from the camera for a few seconds and reinserted it.

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/
2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I've done plenty of FW updates on other body's over the years, and have not seen the behavior you described.

All Canon body's restart after a FW update.  Its part of the process and normal operation should occur after this.  Knowing what I do about BIOS and FW updates, I also know that in some cases, FW's can vary greatly and thus some unexpected results might occur, until a second restart or in some cases a reset is performed.

If you believe the FW update completed successfully, but notice unexpected results, a battery pull and/or reset would be my next step.  Now observe the camer's behavior.

If all is well, continue.  If not, you can reflash, then reset and set up from scratch.  Note that a reset does not include "C" settings, so these too should also be reset.  I think it might be possible to see some quirkiness with the camera if you had a bunch of custom settings.  If a battery pull didn't solve, again I would try a settings and "C" settings reset, then retest.

You can upgrade 10 times and never see an issue...  until one time you do.  It's probably something you can resolve with the above.  Resets are more of an inconvenience than anything else.  A few extra minutes of your time.  Your issue doesn't not sound serious.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I wrote firmware for many years. My camera is working fine and I have no problems with it. I was hoping that my post might be useful to someone because I sometimes see problems (including auto focus) reported after a firmware update.

The surprise to me, was that C3 needed to be reloaded by switching to C2 and back to C3. It might also have worked to load saved settings from a file, but I did not try that.

Also, the automatic restart after the firmware installation did not reinitialize the lens that was attached at the time of the firmware update.

Everything was fixed either by switching away from the saved C3 settings and back or by turning the camera off, removing the battery, inserting the battery, and turning the camera back on.

I am sorry that my post was not clear.

<disclaimer>It has been a long time since I wrote firmware and never for Canon. I worked on PC BIOS for a while.</disclaimer>

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements