cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R3 Memory Buffer Number Drops and Locks Up

posadarich
Apprentice

I purchased these cards for my Canon R3. Indmem128GB CFexpress Type B Memory Card, Raw 4K/8K Video Recording, up to 1700MB/s Read, 1600MB/s Write, Compatible with Nikon Z6/Z7/D6,Canon EOS-1DXMark III/EOS-R5,Panasonic S1/S1R,DJI Ronin 4D. I've tried these cards in my camera and on the bottom right of the view finder that shows the 99 count of photos when I take a burst of photos it will drop the number a significant amount. I was at a wrestling event and when I shot a match the camera/memory was completely locked up and was unable to take any photos until it cleared the buffer. I've got the new Firmware 1.3.0 and it still continues. When I put my card into a friends R3 it doesn't change from 99 at all and I'm able to take as many photos as I want with no buffer. Has anyone had this happen to them? 

1.JPG

[Commercial link removed per forum guidelines and replaced with screenshot to facilitate discussion.]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Agree with resetting the camera's settings and trying again.

There are numerous factors that can lead to lower burst rates.  Including enabling of the Digital Lens Optimizer.  And especially if the "Limit continuous shot count" setting has been enabled (see page 971 in the User Manual).

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

ata
Enthusiast

It's a weird situation. What firmware is installed on your friend's R3? If you have the same Firmware, try resetting the machine to factory settings, if the problem persists, it may be useful to have it checked by Canon Service.

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Agree with resetting the camera's settings and trying again.

There are numerous factors that can lead to lower burst rates.  Including enabling of the Digital Lens Optimizer.  And especially if the "Limit continuous shot count" setting has been enabled (see page 971 in the User Manual).

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I've had my camera's since they came out and not once did I ever think about coming on here and asking a question. It was only after my friend got his and I asked let me shoot with yours did I decide to come and ask. It was the Digital Lens Optimizer, it was set to High. Once I changed it to Off or Standard is when now it doesn't buffer the way it used to. Thank you so much

Announcements