cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS M50 photos not saving to SD card

1996br
Contributor

I took about 100 photos this morning and now there are only 8 on my camera.

Is there any way to recover these? Or do we think they are gone for good??

Does anyone know any reason that these photos would not have saved?? I'm super upset about it 😞

14 REPLIES 14

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Are you using Full Sized SD Cards or Micro SD Cards in an adapter. Is the write protected switch turned on. This will prevent the camera from writing to the SD Card. Also what size SD Card are you using.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

It is a 128 gb sandisk  It is not a micro it is the standard size that fits into the camera without anything special...

I just want to confirm that your using the original M50 not the M50 Mark II. Older cameras seem to have issues with 64GB or larger SD Cards. The cameras will work correctly with 32GB or smaller SD Cards. Despite saying SDXC (64GB or lager) is compatible.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

I run, 2 256gig, a 128 gig, a 64 gig and a 32 gig and have never had problems with any in my M50

I was stating that some cameras have problems with large cards. Not all cameras have problems with large cards. For instance the Rebel SL3 and T7 have problems with 64GB (SDXC) or larger SD Cards. I just wanted the OP to test out a smaller SD Card to see if the camera would work correctly. Also 32GB SD Cards are SDHC not SDXC. 

-Demetrius

A smaller SD card as in a smaller GB?  I will try that.  I thought that the larger GBs would work better but I have no problem just buying a few smaller storage options if that might prevent this from happening again.

With a larger SD Card if it were to fail all of your pictures are gone. If you use multiple smaller SD Cards. If one of them were to fail at least you still have some of your pictures. Which is better than no pictures at all.

-Demetrius

Far-Out-Dude
Rising Star
Rising Star

Did you format the memory card? Depending on what brand memory card you got some come with recovery software for a year or so and then you have to pay for it after that. Also in your settings there is a way to set it so your images are protected. This is for the Canon M50 Mark II but it will work on the M50 as well, I went through my M50 and made sure for you. https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART178458

I have not formatted the memory card. I printed the instructions for this and will do so immediately.  Does this prevent this issue from happening again???

Announcements