cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS M50 Not Connecting to OBS

Oli
Contributor

I bought an EOS M50 Mark 2 to use as a webcam, I'm trying to connect it to OBS, when I connect the camera to my laptop, the lcd srceen gets a battery and computer icon with a black background. I reinstalled the web utility, the camera works when the utility is open, but stops again when minimized to the taskbar. OBS, still doesn't recognize the camera in OBS.

Are there settings that need to be adjusted? Everyday, I try to get it working and something different will happen.

I tried connecting to my laptop with an HDMI cable, OBS then recognizes the camera and it shows what the camera sees...BUT...the lcd screen then goes completely black.

When I click the menu button, the menu shows in OBS, but not the lcd screen. I really should be writing all this stuff down to make a list of "bugs".

ALL help is appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

“I bought an EOS M50 Mark 2 to use as a webcam, I'm trying to connect it to OBS, when I connect the camera to my laptop, the lcd srceen gets a battery and computer icon with a black background.”

This is normal behavior.  The camera is telling you that it is connected to a computer via USB.

“I reinstalled the web utility, the camera works when the utility is open, but stops again when minimized to the taskbar. OBS, still doesn't recognize the camera in OBS.”

The EOS Webcam Utility does not have a user interface.  It is a simple device driver.  From your descriptions, it sounds like you are trying to use the regular EOS Utility, instead of the EOS Webcam Utlity.

“Are there settings that need to be adjusted? Everyday, I try to get it working and something different will happen.”

The EOS Webcam Utility does not have any settings that need to be adjusted.  The only “adjustments” that need to be made are to the computer operating environment.  You need to close the regular EOS Utility and you need to disable the EOS Utility Launcher service, which is an icon in the system tray near the clock on Windows PCs.

“I tried connecting to my laptop with an HDMI cable, OBS then recognizes the camera and it shows what the camera sees...BUT...the lcd screen then goes completely black.”  

Are you using an HDMI capture card?  The EOS Webcam Utility is designed to only use the USB port on the computer.  Do not connect a USB cable and HDMI cable at the same time.

“When I click the menu button, the menu shows in OBS, but not the lcd screen. I really should be writing all this stuff down to make a list of bugs.”  

Not a bug.  The camera has only [one] set of video electronics.  [It cannot drive the HDMI out and the rear screen at the same time.]  It normally routes the video signal to the rear screen.  When a cable is plugged into the HDMI port, the video signal is rerouted to the HDMI port automatically and rear screen is functionally disabled.

You can download the EOS Webcam Utility and instructions on how to use it at the link below.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/self-help-center/eos-webcam-utility/ 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

“I bought an EOS M50 Mark 2 to use as a webcam, I'm trying to connect it to OBS, when I connect the camera to my laptop, the lcd srceen gets a battery and computer icon with a black background.” 

The battery icon sounds abnormal.  Most Canon bodies only display the computer icon.  What are you using for a power source for the camera?  Are you using an AC adapter by Canon?

Yes, I have an AC adapter. I was thinking that might have something to do with it.

Like right now, I've been trying to get it to work properly.

When it's not plugged into the computer via USB, the camera works perfectly.

When I plug it in, it works until the computer recognizes it.

When it's plugged in via HDMI it works in OBS, BUT, the lcd screen is totally black and when I click the menu button, the menu shows in OBS but not the lcd.

I recently updated my laptop from Windows 8.1 to 10. Not sure if that cause any problems?

Thanks for all your help!

I ask again.  Are you using a Canon AC/DC adapter?  The cheap knock-offs create ground loops when you connect the camera to another device that is plugged into AC power.  Ground loops are a bad thing.  It can cause circuit damage.

I am not aware of any current Canon software written for Windows 10 supports platforms that do not have a native Windows 10 installation.  In other words, your PC with an OS upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 is a potential non-starter.

It is not about the OS.  It is about the computer hardware itself.  Computers that were built to run Windows 10 have different hardware designs.  While your desktop may look like Windows 10, your PC is still running Windows 8.1 under the hood.

No, it's not a canon ac adapter. I have a fully charged battery in right now and when plugged in via usb, it still gets the computer and battery icon on the lcd unless the web utility is open. That still does me no good because OBS still doesn't recognize the camera unless it's plugged in with an HDMI cable, but then the lcd screen is just completely black.

I know you're right about Windows...the only reason I upgraded it to 10 was because for some lame reason GoPro Quik doesn't work unless you have Windows 10.

I'm actually thinking about buy a windows 10 laptop and formatting my current laptop and installing Linux and completely moving away from Windows..

Oli
Contributor

Another thing I noticed in OBS, is that when I click video capture device properties, the lcd screen flickers like it wants to work, but then it goes back to the computer and battery icon. This is with the battery in the camera.

Announcements