cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS M3 Downloading pictures to an iMac running macOS Monterey vers 12.5

RL24
Apprentice

I have just upgraded to an iMAC running on the Intel Core i5 chip.

I cannot work out how to download photos from my Canon EOS M3 to the iMAC computer.

HELP

6 REPLIES 6

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

The simplest way, which may seem old school, but is also the fastest, is to remove the card from the camera, plug it into either a built-in or USB SD card reader.  The Mac should see the card as a drive and then you simply copy the files across.  Once done and checked, remove the card, put it back in the camera and format the card.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Hi Trevor,

Thank you for the advice on the 'old school' method. Greatly appreciated.  Colin

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Or, get a USB cable* and plug it into the Mac and the camera. Turn the camera on and run Image Capture. You should be able to get your images, including having them put directly into Photos.

*You may need a USB-C to USB-A adapter for your Mac.

Thank you.

johnrmoyer
Mentor
Mentor

I have an EOS R5 instead of R3. I also have an iMac with intel chip. I hope some of this might be helpful.

I use a SD card in the camera instead of CF. The builtin card reader on the iMac works well for the SD card, but you would need a USB cable connected from the iMac to the camera or a USB card reader for CF cards if that is what you use. My R5 came with a USB cable. When the EOS Utility 3 program downloaded from the Canon support page for the camera detects that the camera is connected by USB cable and turned on, then 3 options are offered "Download images to computer", "Remote shooting", and "Camera settings".

After many decades of using Unix and Linux, the command line in the iMac terminal window is very familiar to me. I have changed my login shell on the iMac to ksh which I have been using since 1987 and I hesitate to learn something new.

My habit is to move the write protect switch on the SD card to write protected because sometimes finder or spotlight will write a file to the SD card having a name that begins with a period and confuses the camera. Then I put the card in the card reader on the iMac and do something similar to the following on the command line in a terminal window (but you should do what you like instead of what is my habit):

mkdir ~/photos/2022Aug24

cd ~/photos/2022Aug24

cp -ip /Volumes/EOS_DIGITAL/DCIM/100CANON/*.CR3 .

Then I start DPP by clicking on it and point it to that directory.

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/

Thank you very much for this advice.

Announcements