cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Keep Monitor on for longer than 30 minutes

Mercusio
Contributor

I wanted to keep my EOS M5 monitor on for longer than 30 minutes for Zoom meetings and the like. I found someone asking the same question about an M50. In that thread here: https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS/How-to-Stream-Longer-than-30-minutes-with-Canon-M50-with/td-p... there were several "experts" flaming peope that wan to do this. They pined away about how it will burn up your sensor, etc. Some say it's a tax dodge. Regardless, I wanted to tell them that Canon has a beta driver to do it here: Canon U.S.A., Inc. | EOS Webcam Utility but the stupid forum won't let me reply to them--I gues because they consider me a newb or something and I have to earn some sort of credit before I can "reply". That's just dumb. Anyhow... the beta program STILL doesn't support my camera, the EOS M5. So I purchased an Elgato Cam Link to convert the HDMI out to a USB3. Works like a champ, but now the monitor shuts off after 30 minutes (the max setting). Does anyone know work around? Someone told me I could just hit record and use an external drive that's like a terabyte, but I haven't figured out how to hook that up yet. Or, will any of the other beta drivers will work on the M5? I tried the M50, but that didn't work for me. Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

Don't see any mention of a "waiting period" after registering here before you can post on the forums.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Forum-Info/Forum-Guidelines/m-p/15#M1

How soon after registering did you attempt to post or start a new thread?

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

The "Reply" button was greyed-out. It only let me post a new post, so I did. Any thoughts on my actual issue? And thanks!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Mercusio wrote:

I wanted to keep my EOS M5 monitor on for longer than 30 minutes for Zoom meetings and the like. I found someone asking the same question about an M50. In that thread here: https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS/How-to-Stream-Longer-than-30-minutes-with-Canon-M50-with/td-p... there were several "experts" flaming peope that wan to do this. They pined away about how it will burn up your sensor, etc. Some say it's a tax dodge. Regardless, I wanted to tell them that Canon has a beta driver to do it here: Canon U.S.A., Inc. | EOS Webcam Utility but the stupid forum won't let me reply to them--I gues because they consider me a newb or something and I have to earn some sort of credit before I can "reply". That's just dumb. Anyhow... the beta program STILL doesn't support my camera, the EOS M5. So I purchased an Elgato Cam Link to convert the HDMI out to a USB3. Works like a champ, but now the monitor shuts off after 30 minutes (the max setting). Does anyone know work around? Someone told me I could just hit record and use an external drive that's like a terabyte, but I haven't figured out how to hook that up yet. Or, will any of the other beta drivers will work on the M5? I tried the M50, but that didn't work for me. Thanks.

The only problem with your Webcam Utility solution is that thread you linked dates back to prior to the announcement of the Webcam Utility.  I agree with most of the advice the person was given.  

If someone wants to use their camera in an unsupported mode, I will tell them so.  I will not help them, not because I am mean. But, because I do not know what to tell them, except do not do it.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

And I am not being mean when I say that if there was an issue with melting down the sensor, then why is Canon telling people to use their cameras as webcams and even supplying the software to do it. I spoke with an sensor architect from Samsung this morning and he said that's, in his words, "hogwash" and that camera companies limit the 30 minutes to avoid VAT taxes. In the meantime, no one is helping me. I want to get past the 30 minute limit on my EOS M5 which will require the beta software Canon is supplying most other EOS cameras. I'm going to have to buy a Rebel or some other brand just to do this one function. I encourage any doubters here to just watch canon's own video on the subject here: (23) Canon Livestreaming Solution - Clean HDMI - YouTube

Because the webcam app lowers the frame rate and resolution to keep the sensor cool.

Overheating can certainly be a problem. Canon had a recall over it not too long ago.

Thanks. I just purchased a T7 to give it a shot. Is your explanation why the video quality look a little jittery compared to a Logitech? I like the color for the most part, but when I am shooting on a slider and the background has any blue in it, my face turns vibrant orange until the blue moves out of view and then it looks fine. Any thoughts?

Announcements