cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 7D Indoor Sports Photography with No Flash

forloines
Contributor

Brand NEW to any sort of Photography, let alone the Canon EOS 7D-Indoor Sports without flash issue.

Hello!

I'm new to photography.  Normally, I use 'Auto' everything when I take pictures of indoor sports for a HS cheerleading team, but someone got upset with the use of the flash.  

I have a Canon EOS 7D.  The only lens I have is:  EFS 18-200mm 0.45m/1.5ft.

I am vaguely aware that the f/ should be lower to allow more light in, I think the lowest it goes is 4.5.  Zooming in makes this worse.

What settings could I use to make this work without the flash.  With the flash, everything's great.

Any constructive help for a "photography dummy" would be great.  If I need a different lens, that would be 'ok', too.

Thank you!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

What focal lengths are you currently using not factoring in the variable aperture limiting you. Before we recommend either the 24-70mm F/2.8 or the 70-200mm F/2.8 lens. Canon has discontinued the EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS II USM lens but they can be found on the used market. If you want a new lens the EF 700-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM lens has replaced the older version. I own the EF 700-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM its a very good lens.

-Demetrius

EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM (Retired), EF 50 F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM & EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM

EOS 40D (Retired) & 5D Mark IV

430EX III-RT, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

View solution in original post

42 REPLIES 42

johnrmoyer
Mentor
Mentor

I have found this very helpful: https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm  I hope you might find some of this helpful.

Also, as others have written, set the camera to record raw CR2 files and I prefer to have the camera record both raw and jpeg. The jpeg allows me to quickly see the choices that the camera made. Also, as others have suggested, Av mode might be better than fully automatic.

As others have said, the free download of the Canon Digital Photo Professional (DPP) program is a good idea. DPP enables changing white balance, brightness, noise reduction, sharpness, and digital lens optimizer after the photo is made. I guess that the digital lens optimizer together with noise reduction will improve the photos.

https://cam.start.canon/en/S002/manual/html/UG-04_EditImage_0040.html

https://cam.start.canon/en/S002/manual/html/index.html

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"With the flash, everything's great."

At any and all of the indoor sporting events I have shot in the past 40+ years, using a flash is going to get you an invite to leave and not come back.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"If you shop from Amazon or Ebay you can't tell if the seller is selling you U.S. gear."

This is very true and very unknown by most people because most Amazon stuff isn't like photography gear purchases. Amazon is a fully authorized Canon USA retailer. Any Canon gear purchased directly from Amazon will be fine. The trick is you must read all the "fine print" on any web page you are considering because some or most of the Amazon Marketplace stores are not Canon USA dealers. Also good advice never, never buy a lens or camera that comes in a huge package or kit of junk.

As to ebay the same thing rings true but it is ever more difficult to tell if it is Canon USA or not. I know some top retail stores do sell on ebay and that would be fine. If you are not certain don't do it. Go to one of the recommended places which is not limited to list above as there are lots of good Canon USA resources. You may have a local camera shop or Best Buy or Costco, etc. Hands on is worth something! The key is making sure it is Canon USA authorized gear.

EB

We tell people when buying from Amazon to make sure it's very specifically marked as "sold and shipped by Amazon," otherwise, you're likely buying from a third party, which is not an Authorized Canon Dealer. 

You can find all of the Authorized Dealers on our site: https://www.usa.canon.com/contact-us/where-to-buy 

Thanks for the correction about Amazon @ebiggs1. It was always mentioned in the forum to avoid using Amazon. As for the Canon Authorized Dealers. I was just listing a few references for the OP. 

-Demetrius

EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM (Retired), EF 50 F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM & EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Demetrius, no thank you because you were the one that spotted it. I didn't. Amazon is such a loved and shopped store so most folks don't even consider where the stuff comes from. And in most cases it probably doesn't matter. In this case it does.

And further it isn't that Canon USA won't fix the gear even if the customer pays for the repair, they may not be able to fix it at all. They may not have the correct part or FW, etc. And if Canon USA can't give the repair a complete 100% guarantee they will decline to do it at all.

I have seen Canon USA bend over backwards to help even when they were not required to. But I would not count on their good nature to please customers, who are not theirs, just because it says Canon on the label.

EB

I've always heard nightmares when it came to repairing Gray Market items from Canon USA. That Canon USA wouldn't repair the item. Or they repaired it at cost and NOT under warranty at all. Even my friends that are PRO photographers even said ONLY use Canon Authorized Dealers. I'm not a pro by any means. Photo is just my hobby. 

-Demetrius

-Demetrius

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@forloines wrote:

Brand NEW to any sort of Photography, let alone the Canon EOS 7D-Indoor Sports without flash issue.

Hello!

I'm new to photography.  Normally, I use 'Auto' everything when I take pictures of indoor sports for a HS cheerleading team, but someone got upset with the use of the flash.  

I have a Canon EOS 7D.  The only lens I have is:  EFS 18-200mm 0.45m/1.5ft.

I am vaguely aware that the f/ should be lower to allow more light in, I think the lowest it goes is 4.5.  Zooming in makes this worse.

What settings could I use to make this work without the flash.  With the flash, everything's great.

Any constructive help for a "photography dummy" would be great.  If I need a different lens, that would be 'ok', too.

Thank you!!

Where do you expect to be when you are doing a shoot?  Your location should dictate what range of focal lengths would be most useful for any type of action photography.

Flashes and strobes are especially bad because they can temporarily blind the athlete, leading to an accidental injury.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I take the picture for the Varsity and JV Cheerleaders (my daughter is one of them) at the Basketball Games.  They have an upper deck in the gym, which is where I am most of the time.  The pictures don't have to be "Pro", but I'd like them to be nice. In the past, I simply used my Camera Phone, but the further away cheerleaders were "grainy", at best.

They won't ask me to leave, but I also (now) know they don't want me to use a flash, either - so I don't (anymore).  

What focal lengths do you use the most with your current 18-200mm lens. Before we recommend the 24-70mm F/2.8, 70-200mm F/2.8 or any other lenses. As @Waddizzle pointed out flash photography is usually prohibited at sporting events. That's why it was recommended that you look into a fast CONSTANT aperture lens with IMAGE STABILIZATION (IS).

-Demetrius

-Demetrius

Announcements