cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 6D Missing Photos after Shooting and Reviewing

owa5489
Apprentice

Hello all. Yesterday I shot a bunch of photos for a graduation. I shot some before, during, and after the event. When I got home and looked at the SD card, I noticed only the shots I took before the graduation were on the card. 

This was very puzzling, because throughout the day I was going back and looking throught the pictures I took through the camera itself. Why would certain batches of photos just disappear like that? 

I have tried many recovery programs, none of which have helped (all on Mac);

EaseUS

Stellar Photo Recovery

Disk Drill

CardRescue

RecoverIt

All of these programs seem to give the same results - deep scan and all.

I just don't understand how some CR2 files could go missing even after clearly seeing they were recorded to the card. Can someone point me in the right direction of what to do? or suggest a better recovery program?

I shot with a Canon 6D and used a Sony Sd Card, 32GB. Thank you guys. Any help is appreciated.

Camera used: Canon 6D

SD Card used: Sony 32GB (Front - SF-32UY) (Back - 20697451)

File type: CR2 (not CR2 + JPEG)

11 REPLIES 11

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

First and foremost, stop using the card in the camera.  Do not write any more data to it.

Did you low level format the card prior to using it?  Are you using a micro-SD card, or a full size SD card?  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I did not format it prior to using it. There were some old photos on there still, with plenty more space to shoot about 330 raw files. I'm playing it safe and not adding or deleting anything further from it.

I am using a full size SD card, not micro. Its' a Sony 32gb SD card.

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

Have you looked at the files sizes of the images that you can access? Try to figure out a rough average size for each of these files and multiply by the total number of all shots taken, assuming they were all shot as CR2 files. Can, or have you opened the card in the Mac equivalent of Windows Explorer? If so, does the amount of used disk space seem to correspond to the amount of images taken? This also assumes that there wasn't other random image or data files left on the card.

By the way, if I'm not mistaken, when you view the images later on the camera's LCD you're not actually viewing a CR2 file. What you're seeing is a separate JPEG thumbnail that the camera automatically generates.

Don't how much difference it really makes but did you have the camera set to "save as" RAW only or RAW+JPEG? Have you tried to download the files via USB connection to the camera only, or do you have a card reader? Have you tried to download them to a Windows machine or to a Mac only?

Hello, I took your advice and did some math, it seems like the disk space is 100mb short of what it should be. If one CR2 file is approximately 25mb, I don't imagine the 40-50ish files are hidden in some way. 

I was not aware of the JPEG thumbnail being loaded onto the screen. I shot CR2's only, not CR2 and JPEG unfortuntely. I took the SD card out to view it, I did not try it wired through the camera. 

I tried Mac only. I'm going to borrow a PC to see if it would help me in any way. I found 3 more SD card recover programs I would like to try.

"...it seems like the disk space is 100mb short of what it should be."

If that is true the photos are not there.  Recovery of the Raw will not be possible. I don't know if the thumb can be or not.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"...it seems like the disk space is 100mb short of what it should be."

If that is true the photos are not there.  Recovery of the Raw will not be possible. I don't know if the thumb can be or not.

330 RAW files at an average of 25MB each would total 8.25GB. 100MB would be only like 4 RAW files and that's less than 2% of the estimated total. To me that sounds like the "missing" files are still there. Though that doesn't necessarily mean they are recoverable. But I wouldn't give up hope too easily.

I've had some luck using Recuva software in the past, but I can't remember for sure if I was even trying to recover RAW files.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
You need some disk space for overhead, too, which typically consumes a small percentage of total disk space.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

GlacialImpala
Contributor

Have you ever solved this? I had the same exact thing happen.

You'll probably get better results by opening a new thread instead of re-openig a 5 year old post. Please also include some more information on the specific gear you're using and details of the exact problem you're having. And stop using the affected memory card immeadiately!

Announcements