cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 400d (EOS Digital Rebel XTi) won't turn on

cverwer
Apprentice

Hi,

I have an old EOS 400d, or also called the EOS Digital Rebel XTi, which won't respond. I have two batteries, and they both work, and are fully charged, but the camera won't turn on - except for a small blue light that flashes roughly every second on the print button. This camera worked perfectly normal until a few days ago when it just stopped. I didn't bump it or anything, and the last thing that I did before I noticed it was broken was unplugged it from my computer (I don't have a CF card reader, so I just use the cable.) I've tried everything, from leaving the batteries out overnight, taking the time battery out, the CF card out, etc., but it still won't do anything but flash that blue light. It won't register on my computer when plugged in and turned on. Help???

2 REPLIES 2

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

How old is the memory card?  Remove the memory card.  Try to turn the camera on without the memory card.  Reset the camera back to factory defaults.  

I recommend a different memory card and a card reader.  Make sure there is no damages or bent pins in the card slot, and that it is clear of any foreign objects and debris.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@cverwer wrote:

Hi,

I have an old EOS 400d, or also called the EOS Digital Rebel XTi, which won't respond. I have two batteries, and they both work, and are fully charged, but the camera won't turn on - except for a small blue light that flashes roughly every second on the print button. This camera worked perfectly normal until a few days ago when it just stopped. I didn't bump it or anything, and the last thing that I did before I noticed it was broken was unplugged it from my computer (I don't have a CF card reader, so I just use the cable.) I've tried everything, from leaving the batteries out overnight, taking the time battery out, the CF card out, etc., but it still won't do anything but flash that blue light. It won't register on my computer when plugged in and turned on. Help???

Is the CF card newer than the camera? It's conceivable that the CF card is larger than the camera understands and that when it got filled to a certain level, the camera didn't know what to do. To try to rule out this (admittedly unlikely) possibility, try formatting the card in the camera (after first copying all desired images out, of course).

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements