cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 200D Zooming all the way out has tunnel edges

Pickashot
Apprentice

EOS 200D

When I first got the camera, I noticed when zooming out, at the furthest point, the image in the view finder looked like it was looking through a tunnel.  That is one or more edges (almost like circular cropping) would appear in the view finder and in the final picture was cropped would appear.  It was not consistent either.  Sometimes it would be on the all four corners of the framed picture and other times very slight.  However, you could see it and would have to zoom in a bit to get rid of it.

I thought it was just the starter lenses, but later I purchased better Cannon lenses and while much better, I get the dark edge mark on the lower left corner of the view finder and then the final picture.  Zoom in a bit, and it goes away.  I have found no other referenceEdge on photoEdge on photo about this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Canon EFS 18-135.  However, the lense hood is a JJC and was one recommended when I bought the lense.  Kind of a duh here.  I took it off and don't see the bracketed area.  I should have thought of this before ... on this lense.  What fooled me was the starter zoom that came with the camera had a OEM hood and really did the bracketing bad with and without the hood.  Any way, looks like the hood was the problem with Canon EFS 18-135 lense and that's all I'm concerned with.  Thanks!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

What lenses are you using? Are you using lens hoods? If so, are they OEM?

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Canon EFS 18-135.  However, the lense hood is a JJC and was one recommended when I bought the lense.  Kind of a duh here.  I took it off and don't see the bracketed area.  I should have thought of this before ... on this lense.  What fooled me was the starter zoom that came with the camera had a OEM hood and really did the bracketing bad with and without the hood.  Any way, looks like the hood was the problem with Canon EFS 18-135 lense and that's all I'm concerned with.  Thanks!

You mentioned other lenses cause vignetting too. This shouldn't happen at all. Does this occur without the lens hood attached. On the other lenses mentioned.

-Demetrius

EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM & EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM

EOS 40D & 5D Mark IV

430EX III-RT & 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

I wanted to answer this question last week, but I had stashed my old starter lens and could not confirm if the lens worked with the lens cover or without.  Then found it yesterday. During this past week, I also ordered a Canon OEM lens cover for my EFS 18-135 to see if that fixed the issue of using this lens with a OEM lens cover. Turns out, both the starter lens and the new EFS have no vignetting "without" the lens cover and do have it "with" their OEM lens cover on.   The big bummer is, I'm two weeks over my warranty period. Thank you for your help.

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

The odd thing here though is that not all four corners are affected.  Wondering if the mount somehow got damaged and when attaching the lens, it's not well-aligned?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

The OP said says that it affects ALL of their lenses. I don't believe this is a lens problem. This looks like a camera body problem specifically the lens mount.

-Demetrius

EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM & EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM

EOS 40D & 5D Mark IV

430EX III-RT & 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D
Announcements