cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS-1D X Mark II Does shutter count matter when buying used?

densa
Apprentice

I did it! I finally settled on a new rig! The workhorse that is a 1dx mkii. There are several listings on mpb, however, most of the “well used”/“good” have shutter counts in the 150k and up. I’ve read that shutters on cameras like that are only rated for 400k, if I buy a used body that has a high shutter count, am I gonna be shooting myself in the foot before I know it?

4 REPLIES 4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Shutter count only documents how many times the shutter has been actuated. It is no indication of how the camera has been treated by the user. It does not necessarily reflect how many times the camera was used in video mode.

A shutter can fail at any time; the 400K figure is an estimate based on Canon testing. From a practical standpoint you could say the camera has approximately 2/3 of its life left. Would you be paying less than 2/3 of the cost of the camera new?

My suggestion would be to examine the camera. Does it look like it was treated well or does it look abused?

Get an estimate from Canon or a third-party repair company for a shutter replacement. Add that to the purcvhase cost. Is it a price you are willing to pay?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Does shutter count matter?  It does not matter as much as some people think.  It is an incomplete metric of how much wear and tear the camera has been through.  It can also be difficult to obtain an accurate count.  The method is to send the camera body to Canon, but this can be problematic with older bodies that are out of service.

I think Shutter Count opens a can of worms that is best left closed.  It leads to valid questions that are borderline argumentative. How and when was the count obtained?  Etc.

I have sold a couple of used cameras.  When people ask for a shutter count, I tell them that I do not have one.  It would cost extra for me to obtain one from Canon.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The guys are pretty much spot on. If the 150K is accurate and the price is right I see no reason to even be concerned. Another factor is how the 150k was obtained. If it was using HS shooting mode at 10+ fps it is a whole lot different than a single click once and again.

The 400k or whatever Canon says is a Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF) is just that an average. Some cameras fail at way less and some go for many times longer than that. I have a friend in Texas that was over 500k on his 1 Series camera. I have another in Kansas City that buys nothing but "Ugly" used cameras from KEH. Neither has replaced a shutter. I would expect a new shutter replacement form Canon is around $500 but a call to 1 (800) 652-2666 will confirm that number.

IMHO, buy it if the price is right and don't look back.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

The shutter assembly on a pro body is just a maintenance item and is replaceable at a fraction of the cost of the body.  Even after Canon refuses to service it, other places will do so.

1DX series bodies are extremely rugged (I have a pair of 1DX II and 1DX III bodies and used 1DX and other 1 series prior) and they hold up extremely well.  The weather sealing is excellent and the heat pipe cooling system which dumps heat to the battery chamber is far superior to the lesser bodies so they stand up well to heat generating activities like high res video.

You will love the body.  Ergonomics/human factors design is excellent with the 1 series as is the balance they provide when a big white prime is mounted to the body.  I regularly shoot sports handheld with 1DX series bodies and 300 and 400 f2.8 primes and 200-400 f4 "extender" glass and I have never felt the need for a monopod which restricts mobility.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
click here to view the press release
Announcements