cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photos with Duplicated File Names

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I  have been taking a lot of photos lately. I use the plug-in for the USB port to download from the memory card. When I go to review the photos, I find that each photo has a copy designated as XXXX (1). I hate to take the time to delete each one as unneeded. Is there something in the camera or laptop computer that is doing this? TIA.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
40 REPLIES 40

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Are they both the same date?

If the camera has been used a while and you are downloading to the same folder you may have "rolled over" the file counter. The camera will only go to 9999 and then it starts over, so 0001 and 0001(1) could be 9999 images apart.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Camera is fairly new. Photos are numbering in the 65XX. I'll check the items you mention. Thanks for the prompt reply.

Was in Waterville Valley, NH, several years ago. Beautiful area. Saw moose crossings but never saw one.

Edit- photos were taken at the same time.

John

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
You say new camera. My potential explanation wouldn’t seem to apply then. Have you taken 6500+ images? File count should start at 0000.

Can you post a screenshot of the folder.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I'll try but I'm not a computer whiz. Might take a bit of experimenting. Again, thanks.

BTW, you are the first person to answer a question on the Community.

John

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

This is a computer problem. You need to remove images from the camera after you are sure they are safely imported. After I verify that all the images imported, I re-format the card in the camera.

I do that. I'm a freelance writer and photographer. I tend to take multiple shots of the same subject. I don't like to have bunches of photos on the camera. As  I mentioned, I get two copies of the same photo. I try to select the ones not already downloaded. Usually all photos are new. I'll see if I can come up with the file as you noted. Thanks!

John

Noticed you re-format the card! That might be the problem. Again...many thanks.

John

Yes, if you do not delete the files after you download some programs will "allow" you to download the same files over again. I missed that possibility since Lightroom or Apple Image Capture will ignore suspected duplicates/previously downloaded images. You can either reformat the card or simply erase all images after you download.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

2 copies of the same photo might be one as a jpg & the other a raw file (CR2 extension) 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."
Announcements