cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curious about the "2V2A" prefix in my 7DmII photo numbering, can this be removed?

thesun
Contributor

I've recently discovered that four digits just isn't enough for me to have easily definable photos, so if I have "2V2A7193.JPG" there's a good chance another identically named file is hanging around within a month or two.  I'd love to ditch the 2V2A and just have sequential numbering that goes for another 4 decimal places.  Is that possible?  I saw I can opt for "IMG_" in the settings but it didn't appear I could get rid of this completely. 

Any help would be wonderful, thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Your Card is divided into subdirectories that only hold 1000 files, which set the index number:

Untitled.jpg

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Use the free Canon DPP4 software to rename the files.

Screenshot 2023-03-31 133859.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

thesun
Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm running Linux, this tool doesn't work for me, but more importantly, I'd like the camera to have more than 4 usable digits in the name.  That's the real question.  If it only goes to an effective 9999 before switching over again to 0000 that seems a waste of 4 digits in the filename.  Just hoping I could get it to name up to 99999999 before returning to zero.

All digital cameras use the DCIM file format which is a four character alpha-numeric prefix and a four digit file number, as well as the eight-dot-three general file name format. That's why the file name includes JPG, TIF, CR2. Your options are the camera-unique 2V2A prefix or IMG_.

I am sure there are file renaming tools for Linux.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Your Card is divided into subdirectories that only hold 1000 files, which set the index number:

Untitled.jpg

thesun
Contributor

Thanks, this is what I was looking for.  Seems arbitrary and silly to have identically named images in a single photoshoot, but that's a different issue.  Seems 9999 is the best one can do at the current time.  (And yes, there are file renaming tools for Linux.  That part's easy.)

Announcements