cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Control of LCD monitor on 5d mark III

manofhg
Apprentice

Typically, when I put my eye to the viewfinder, the LCD turns off.  I was shooting the other night and it would not turn off and I had to manually turn it off so that it wouldn't blind me when trying to look through the viewfinder.  Did I inadvertantly change a setting that controls this?

2 REPLIES 2

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

On a 5D III?

That was a feature of the T2i ... and it disappeared when they came out with the articulated LCD on the T3i. 

I grabbed my 5D III to check and see that it doesn't have the sensor that the T2i had.  Also checked the menus... you can control the brightness level of the LCD (Menu, select the Yellow Wrench #2 page, and the 2nd row has the feature) for either auto or manual.  In manual the brightness level wont change.  In auto it will change but you can bias it to be a bit brighter or dimmer than it would automatically choose.

I see no feature that turns off the display when you put your eye to the eyecup.  My 5D IV doesn't have this either.  

BTW, on the T2i, the more common complaint was the reverse of what's happening to you.  The camera wouldn't turn the LCD on becuase it thought your eye was at the eyecup (this would happen if the removeable eyecup wasn't fully seated.)

You can manually turn off the LCD by tapping the "Info" button just left of the eyecup.  Each time you tap it, it changes what the LCD screen displays.  But one of the choices is to have the LCD go dark.  It's a loop ... so if you tap it enough times it cycles back around to the front of the list.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks, that is basically what I have found too.  I came from a T2i which had this feature and I guess I thought I had it on 5DIII too, but guess I hadn't shot night shots to notice till the other night.  I too used the INFO button to turn off the display while I shot.  Yeah, I looked through the manual only to wonder if I've missed something.  Thought that was a good feature, but guess the INFO button will be the solution.

Announcements