cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering EOS M50 as an Upgrade from the EOS 4000D

star99
Apprentice

Let me start off with this. I have been shooting with a Canon 4000D and looking into getting a newer camera! I do a lot of photos, but, looking for something I can also do Car videography.

For the price point around $400-500 I was heavily considering the Canon M50. I know the EF-M lenses are dead and would have to get an adaptor to use my current lenses.

If there any reason why I shouldnt get one? Or another option around that price point I should consider?

3 REPLIES 3

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

It's a bit more costly, but the R-series equivalent of the EOS M50 is the EOS R50.  It would definitely make for a more future-proof investment and something I would thus recommend.

R50 prices (as of this writing on B&H Photo):

• body only: $679
  • with RF-S 18-45mm lens: $799
  • with RS-S 18-45mm and 55-210mm lenses: $1,029

Canon also just announced the EOS R100 which is less expensive.  Though these can only be pre-ordered currently.  Prices (also from B&H Photo):

• body only: $479
  • with RF-S 18-45mm lens: $599
  • with RS-S 18-45mm and 55-210mm lenses: $829
--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I like Ricky's recommendation.  The M series is a super compact body.  But you will need a body and adapter.  It will be "throw away" money.  At least with an R series body, it's adapter would be something that you could move forward with.   The EF-M > EF only works on a EF-M body and we already know what the future for it is.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

In all honesty, the M series cameras are pretty much dead and Canon is dropping both body models and lenses form the production line.  Definitely the future lies with the R-series bodies.

If you need to stick to the $400-500 price limit, you might want to consider the new R100, which uses the same sensor and processor as the M50 but has a lot of added features.  You could use your current EF and EF-S lenses with this body too, via and adapter, but it would give you a foothold onto the newer and much more capable R-series platform, with the eventual potential to use RF and RF-S lenses.
See: Introducing the Canon EOS R100 - YouTube  by Canon USA
and: Canon EOS R100 review: best budget mirrorless camera? - YouTube

The price on the Canon site comes in at $480, so it's comparable to getting an M50 price-wise.  If you want so save up a bit more, then look at the Canon EOS R50 that Ricky recommended, which boasts some extra features. 

Worth looking at the site:
Canon Cameras: DSLR, Mirrorless & More | Canon U.S.A, Inc.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements