cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compare photos - Is lack of sharpness because of camera or lens?

Brad
Enthusiast

Since I've had my 6d (about 2 years) I've said the photos were not that sharp. On a recent trip, comparing photos from my 6d with 24-105L, and my friend's 5D mk3 with 24-70L 2.8 it was once again really obvious.

My question is, are my photos less sharp than his because his camera is better? Or is it that the 24-70 2.8 is that much sharper of a lens? Or is it maybe that my camera or lens has something out of adjustment? I've experimented with every setting I can think of on my camera and it doesn't help.

It seems to me that the IQ of both cameras should be pretty similar, and from what I read the 2 lenses don't have any appreciable difference in sharpness, so I am just not sure why my photos are consistently less sharp and "real" looking than his.

My shot with the 6d and 24-105L

IMG_5976.JPG

His shot with the 5d mk 3 and 24-70L 2.8

1U4A4922-crop.jpg

I really notice the difference on the deails of the fabric of my black jacket.

His photos are taken in L fine size jpg and mine are M fine jpg (sharpness set to max.) Yes the file sizes are different but I wouldn't expect that to affect the IQ. Another note, (I had to crop his photo in photoshop to get under the 5mb file upload size and that seems to have reduced its IQ a bit.)

Thanks for any ideas anyone might have!

41 REPLIES 41

I noticed I can't just go into the private message feature of the website... its like the link is dead. 

BUT... I have learned a work-around.

If you select the name of another member in the computer (to bring up their profile) you'll find a link to send that user a private message.  Click that link and it'll put you into the messaging feature of the site to allow you to compose our message.  But if you look above the composition window, there are other tabs, and one of them is your "Inbox" tab.  That should let you get into your inbox.  

So far that's the only way I've found to trick the system into letting me into the private message feature.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbell wrote:

I noticed I can't just go into the private message feature of the website... its like the link is dead. 

BUT... I have learned a work-around.

If you select the name of another member in the computer (to bring up their profile) you'll find a link to send that user a private message.  Click that link and it'll put you into the messaging feature of the site to allow you to compose our message.  But if you look above the composition window, there are other tabs, and one of them is your "Inbox" tab.  That should let you get into your inbox.  

So far that's the only way I've found to trick the system into letting me into the private message feature.

Yep that worked. I appreciate it!

Announcements