cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon’s EOS 5D Mark V is apparently dead

ChrisPBacon
Enthusiast

https://petapixel.com/2020/07/20/canons-5d-dslr-line-is-dead-report/

Canon has apparently removed their EOS 5D Mark V update, rumored to be released at the end of 2020, from their lineup, citing the push to mirrorless cameras and the economy staggering under the guise of Covid-19.

Whose push to mirrorless cameras?  Not mine.

My luck hadn't been doing well with Canon lately, as my 7D Mark II is beginning to show its age as is my 6D Mark II. Canon announced earlier that it wasn't following through with plans to update those two models.  If/when those 2 go down, that leaves me with a little-used 6D as my sole functioning EOS DSLR. 

In that case, I guess my new Canon DSLR will be the new version of the current EOS-1D X Mark III — unless that, too, gets cancelled — or I decide to scrap plans of continuing being a Canon customer.  This nonsense of planned obsolescence doesn't fare well with me, having a fortune invested in Canon lenses, especially the longer prime lenses recently purchased..

Chris P. Bacon
F-1; AE-1; EOS 1V, EOS-1D X Mark III, 5D Mk IV, 6D, 6D Mk II, 7D, and 7D Mk II; scads of Canon, Zeiss, and Sigma lenses.
8 REPLIES 8

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

https://www.canon-europe.com/pro/stories/rf-versus-ef-lenses/

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@ChrisPBacon wrote:

https://petapixel.com/2020/07/20/canons-5d-dslr-line-is-dead-report/

Canon has apparently removed their EOS 5D Mark V update, rumored to be released at the end of 2020, from their lineup, citing the push to mirrorless cameras and the economy staggering under the guise of Covid-19.

Whose push to mirrorless cameras?  Not mine.

My luck hadn't been doing well with Canon lately, as my 7D Mark II is beginning to show its age as is my 6D Mark II. Canon announced earlier that it wasn't following through with plans to update those two models.  If/when those 2 go down, that leaves me with a little-used 6D as my sole functioning EOS DSLR. 

In that case, I guess my new Canon DSLR will be the new version of the current EOS-1D X Mark III — unless that, too, gets cancelled — or I decide to scrap plans of continuing being a Canon customer.  This nonsense of planned obsolescence doesn't fare well with me, having a fortune invested in Canon lenses, especially the longer prime lenses recently purchased..

We'll miss you, Chris, if it comes to that. But I suspect you'll conclude, as I have, that the R5, with either of its two EF lens adapter rings, is the 5D Mark V. Yes, the R5 is overpriced; but once they work their way through the waiting list, Canon will probably reduce it by a few hundred $$, at which time the 5D series will be officially obsolete. Why, after that happens, would anyone want to hold onto the ancient SLR technology, with its many moving parts. unavoidable vibrations, and necessary AF adjustments? Mirrorless technology has been lurking in the wings for years, awaiting only faster processors and batteries capable of at least a semblance of adequacy. We're finally there, I think, and some of us old fogies hope to live long enough to take at least some advantage of it. 

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Hi Guys...

I agree with Robert, but do have a little reservation.  I wanted to fully embrace the R5..  but no built in GPS, still piss poor battery life and that $3900 price tag which doesn't include all of the new higher priced memory I'll need, oh and a pocket full of batteries too.  

I look back now and laugh.  I said I'd never buy and 5D4 because it didn't have a articulating screen and right now its looking better than ever to me.  My 6D2... I can shoot almost all day with one battery.  I thought the LP-E6NH would be "heavy duty" and leave the R and RP in the dust.  Nope,  I can easily shoot at least 1127 shots on a 64GB card RAW+JPEG on either of my Watson (aftermarket) or Canon OEM batteries...  And I'm suppose to give that up?  Very conflicted.  >> I wanted the 5DV too...  Yes, I was hopeful. 

I have no doubt  the R5 will be awesome, but may put it on the back burner until christmas.  What Robert said is true....  Let it get released and circulate and watch the price drop.  I'll use that cash for cards, batteries and a control ring because I like my EF lenses too, which will work seamlessly with a mirrorless body.  Another disappointment for me would be having to put a GPS receiver on a body.  For me, its still too many steps back for the sole benefit of mirrorless (which is compelling).  Unlike Chris, I won't "leave".  I'll always be a Canon user, but am still not ready to give up my DSLR just yet.  Ask me again in 6-7 months.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

Hi Guys...

I agree with Robert, but do have a little reservation.  I wanted to fully embrace the R5..  but no built in GPS, still piss poor battery life and that $3900 price tag which doesn't include all of the new higher priced memory I'll need, oh and a pocket full of batteries too.  

I look back now and laugh.  I said I'd never buy and 5D4 because it didn't have a articulating screen and right now its looking better than ever to me.  My 6D2... I can shoot almost all day with one battery.  I thought the LP-E6NH would be "heavy duty" and leave the R and RP in the dust.  Nope,  I can easily shoot at least 1127 shots on a 64GB card RAW+JPEG on either of my Watson (aftermarket) or Canon OEM batteries...  And I'm suppose to give that up?  Very conflicted.  >> I wanted the 5DV too...  Yes, I was hopeful. 

I have no doubt  the R5 will be awesome, but may put it on the back burner until christmas.  What Robert said is true....  Let it get released and circulate and watch the price drop.  I'll use that cash for cards, batteries and a control ring because I like my EF lenses too, which will work seamlessly with a mirrorless body.  Another disappointment for me would be having to put a GPS receiver on a body.  For me, its still too many steps back for the sole benefit of mirrorless (which is compelling).  Unlike Chris, I won't "leave".  I'll always be a Canon user, but am still not ready to give up my DSLR just yet.  Ask me again in 6-7 months.   

When I wanted to upgrade my 6D I had three full frame choices: 6D Mark II, 5D Mark IV, 1Dx Mark II.  The 1D would have been my choice if it had had Bluetooth, and ditto for the 5D Mark IV.  But, I understood that radio waves do not pass through titanium very well.  

I have found the Bluetooth to be invaluable, and went for the 6D Mark II.  I see Canon finally introduced Bluetooth to the 1Dx Mark III, which is a major technological leap, IMHO.  I am very tempted to pick up a 1Dx Mark III, but I want to see what "professional grade" mirrorless camera comes along.

Canon would be wise to create a "photo-centric" mirrorless camera, with a full blown professional body with built-in grip.  Forget the hybrid camera bodies, Canon.  Just go full tilt "photo-centric", and watch what happens.  Game over, IMHO.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@shadowsports wrote:

Hi Guys...

Built-in GPS, like a full-time EVF, is a battery hog. That's why you don't see it on the R5.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@shadowsports wrote:

Hi Guys...

Built-in GPS, like a full-time EVF, is a battery hog. That's why you don't see it on the R5.

Bluetooth.  Supposedly can use Bluetooth to grab GPS info from your smart phone, and have it added to the EXIF in-camera. As you take shots.  I have never tried it, though.  If it works with Posershots then it should work with DSLRs, too.

It makes no sense to leave GPS enabled if you're pretty much in one location or venue.  I might grab a test shot or two with the GPS turned on in the 6D2, and then turn it off.  I can copy the GPS data in post to other image files.  

I understand why the R5 won't include GPS.  Canon had to step up EVF performance, but too bad it's partially coming at the expense of GPS.  As soon as I saw the shots per charge figures, I knew once again my hopes for some level of comparability (battery performance wise) between DSLR and Mirrorless wasn't going to happen. OK though, as I was suspect from the beginning anyway.

I didn't have GPS on my T6s.  I fully embraced it when I got my 6D2.  Now I love it.  I use it full time in mode2 and never disable it.  Super Convenient.  I should have mentioned that above when talking about battery life.  Still over 1100 shots with it in use full time.  I can only imagine what I'd get with it being turned off.  That's the beauty of it.  I don't need to.  Which takes me back to examining all of the reasons I might add or upgrade to a mirrorless body. 

So we are now Gen3... R > RP> R5.  and I'm still not super excited.  Going to wait and see how it does after release. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I would go so far as to single out the 5D Series of cameras, but I do believe that we may have seen the last DSLR release from Canon.  Canon has usually released new cameras in intervals of at least 2-3 years.  I think the entire DSLR development is dead.  Canon has already announced it has stopped active development of new lenses for the EF Mount, which was nearly a year ago.

Over the last year, we have seen new releases at the entry level ( T8i ), mid-range level ( 90D ), and professional grade ( 1Dx Mark III ).  And then there is the market niche where the 5D and 7D bodies fall into, somewhere between mid-range and full blown professional grade.  These bodes have not an upgrade for several years, and I don't think one is coming, either.

I do not think the 5D Series needs an upgrade as much as the 7D Series.  The 5D Series peaked with the release of the 5Ds bodies, while the 7D Mark II has languished since 2014 without an upgrade.  If Canon were to release another DSLR, then it would be a 7D Series or nothing, at all, IMHO.

I admit that I am surprised that Canon never upgraded the 7D Series in response to Nikon's more recent action camera releases.  But, look at where Nikon is headed, and look at where Canon is headed.....totally opposite directions at the moment.

Announcements