cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon produce a zoom lens to compete with Sigma 150-500mm and soon to be released Tamron 150-600mm

jimscaf
Contributor

When will Canon complete with Sigma 150-500mm ($899 B&H), Tamron 150-600mm ($1,060) B&H, the L 100-400 is outdated compared to these newer lens, $600 more expensive and doesn't have the range using my 7D

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks I agree about the quality of the L lenses I've been using 24-105mm for over a year now and love it, the cost difference I can see with the way Canon's lens are buiilt and I can deal with it if a new lens comes out in the price range of the 100-400.

I heard from a Canon rep rumors the 100-400 could be updated this year but nothing confirmed, I was hoping they'd extend to 500mm possibly so I'll wait to see what comes out if anything this year

Jim

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Easy answer!

Neither of those lenses are close to the level of quality, all things considered, as the Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 L IS.

In this respect they are NOT comparable. If you disregard everything except build quality, the comparison is not even close.

Not that the third party lenses are not serviceable, they are.  But certainly you see the distinct difference?

You are simply not going to get a Canon L for a Sigma price.

Sigma has made some extreme strides in lens production lately. For instance the 35mm f1.4 Sigma is by all accounts sharper than the daunted Canon 35mm f1.4 L. But upon closer examination the build difference is quite noticeable. What's it worth to you?

Now if you want Canon to update the 100-400mm, they will and I suspect to see it this year. The year of the lens!

If you want it to be in the 500mm to 600mm range, I doubt it will happen.

A 400mm f5.6 L prime with IS is supposed to be in the future, too. Very interesting as this is a real winner of a lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks I agree about the quality of the L lenses I've been using 24-105mm for over a year now and love it, the cost difference I can see with the way Canon's lens are buiilt and I can deal with it if a new lens comes out in the price range of the 100-400.

I heard from a Canon rep rumors the 100-400 could be updated this year but nothing confirmed, I was hoping they'd extend to 500mm possibly so I'll wait to see what comes out if anything this year

Jim

"I was hoping they'd extend to 500mm ..."

Slim to no chance. Smiley Sad

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I think the OP is just wishing for a canon lense that goes out to 500 like the Sigma and at a more affordable cost than the 100-400.  But like they say you get what you pay for.  I bought the 150-500 because I wanted a better range and I could not afford the 100-400 at the time.  Now I wonder if the extenders I have would work on the 100-400, I will check that out now.  

John 

The extender would work with the 100-400 but not all that great, so that idea is out the door before the gate opened.
Announcements