cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon mirrorless camera suggestions

Babemgnet
Contributor

I would like to see a Mirrorless camera, with 45MP, Face and eye focus tracking, manual shutter, no video at all for professional still photographers, and sports photographers.  Cut the cost. Maybe the R1?  If you want video an R1C?

As a news paper Photographer I don't use, need, or want video.  I do sports photography and would want a fast shutter speed, and face and eye tracking.  I own two 90D's and they're o.k. I also own a 5d Markii, great for still portraits but not for sports.  I still use my 40D, and D60 for fire scene photographs. The R3 would be nice, but, the cost is a bit much, and only 24MP.  Full frame all the bells and whistles for still work no video.  Thanks.

27 REPLIES 27

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

The R5 would be a good choice for Full Frame like the older 5D series. The R7 would be a good choice for sports but its and APS-C camera like the older 7D series. Or the cheaper R10 which is the successor to the 90D and xxD series.

40D, 5D IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II, EF 28-135mm, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

The poster specified 45MP.  The R7 is only 32.5MP.  The R10 is 24MP.

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

45MP, Face and eye focus tracking... sounds like you want an R5.

If you want a stills camera that has no video features at all, well, good luck, I don't think such a camera exists.  But with the R5, just leave it in photo mode, and there's no reason the video features will ever bother you.  Even the menus will just have the stills features.

Unless you really want a top-of-the-line camera at a bottom-of-the-line price, in which case, too bad -- no-one makes that camera.

(BTW, with Canon's naming, I believe the R1 will be their most expensive camera.  It doesn't sound like that's what you meant.  But if you did, it's rumoured to be coming in 2023, with 100 MP.)

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I wonder how much having video capability really costs.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Obviously, there is some cost involved in adding video capabilities.  But, the video features are mostly implemented through firmware.  All of the hardware is already present in a stills camera.  Designing a hybrid camera is almost a win-win for marketing and R&D..  

In fact, designing the hardware with video in mind has probably improved the stills features in most camera brands.  I have little doubt that the high speed frame rates available for still photography are a trickle down from developing hybrid hardware for both stills and video.

The biggest question in my mind is which came first, the chicken or the egg?  Stills or video?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

But, the video features are mostly implemented through firmware.  All of the hardware is already present in a stills camera.

No, adding video does in fact mean a lot of extra hardware.  Even in phones/tablets (my background) a simple thing like rotating video 90° needs a special processor.  H.264 & H.265 encoding will certainly use dedicated hardware.

I think the reason cameras have video is that the product managers feel it's a checkbox they have to tick in every product -- and not without reason.  Trevor's post about the Df and the Nikon Z's is on point for me.

And, I wonder how many people really only want stills.  On the R5, you can just hit that video button anytime something cool and dynamic happens in front of the camera.  I suspect many die-hard stills photographers will find that handy from time to time.

The problem with removing video features means you just lost 85-90% of your market. Most people especially YouTubers are using DSLR or mirrorless cameras for video. Most of these cameras are marketed as video cameras. Even though there primary use is for stills use. 

40D, 5D IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II, EF 28-135mm, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

I agree with Dee.  Canon got into serious strife with the R5 when they first released that unit by over-emphasizing the higher-res video aspects of what was otherwise an excellent stills camera.  The overheating issue has been hanging over them since in some quarters.

I would love to see a relatively simple, dedicated stills camera, but I don't think that will happen.  That's why I cherish my Nikon Df bodies still!

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

The R5 and R6 have a heavy emphasis on video specs. Instead of stills specs most photographers are looking for. Not to mention the R5 and R6 still have overheating issues.

-Demetrius

Announcements