cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon lens making noise while camera turned off

mericanpi
Apprentice

Hi 

I've a 50D, which started playing up when I bought a new lens. The problem started with lens connection errors, but I also noticed that I'd often hear a twitching noise from the lens when the camera was turned off - like an autofocus noise, but it is an IS lens so it could have something to do with that. 

Does anyone have any idea what could be happening? 

Canon 50D, EFS 17-85 IS

9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What kind of lens?

That sounds like the camera is not turning itself off.  How is the battery life?

I have heard similar noises coming from lenses as I have walked through the woods.  I have gone into the menus and disabled “Lens drive when AF impossible”.  I am walking with the lens cap on, and the camera is still trying to focus.  Check your metering timer.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you all. Not so much of a squeak, more like a motor working. The lens is an EFS 17-85 IS. 

I think it may actually be the camera's logic board - not turning the camera off. I came across another symptom today, it no longer turns on. I thought the battery was flat but it still does not power on with a new battery. Come to think of it, when I used it the other day it seemed to freeze and not shut down when I switched it off. I was in a rush to get the shot and thought I was mistaken at the time. 

I may be able to spin this to my wife as a good reason to upgrade 🙂 

Thank you so much for your help. 

"I may be able to spin this to my wife as a good reason to upgrade"

I like this idea.  The 80D is very tempting.  Tell her the 'experts' on the Canon forum said the 50D was kaput.  Smiley Very Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

haha experts

an ex is a "has-been"

a spirt is drip under pressure

"an ex is a "has-been"

I can relate to that.  But if it gets you a new 80D..........................Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1wrote:

I like this idea.  The 80D is very tempting.  Tell her the 'experts' on the Canon forum said the 50D was kaput.  Smiley Very Happy

I'll second Ernie's suggestion. I never thought much of the 60D anyway because, unlike the rest of the n0D series, it doesn't have autofocus microadjustment.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFatwrote:

@ebiggs1wrote:

I'll second Ernie's suggestion. I never thought much of the 60D anyway because, unlike the rest of the n0D series, it doesn't have autofocus microadjustment.

I think the OP mentioned it's a 50D ... which I think does have AFMA.  But you are correct in the 60D being the only x0D series camera (certainly the only one in recent memory) that doesn't support AFMA.  I use mine (60Da) for astrophotography and since that's through a telescope and all manual focus anyway ... it's a feature astrophotographers don't miss. 

The 80D probably would be the ideal upgrade.  While each of the x0D series line had some incremental upgrade over it's predecessor... the 80D probably got the biggest jump of any of that lineage in many years.  It's so good that it has people confused over whether they should buy a 7D Mark II vs. an 80D (because in some areas the 80D actually out-performs the  7D II) -- even though the 7D II is positioned as the higher-end model.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbell

The 80D probably would be the ideal upgrade.  While each of the x0D series line had some incremental upgrade over it's predecessor... the 80D probably got the biggest jump of any of that lineage in many years.  It's so good that it has people confused over whether they should buy a 7D Mark II vs. an 80D (because in some areas the 80D actually out-performs the  7D II) -- even though the 7D II is positioned as the higher-end model.

When it comes to outright image capturing, the 80D is the better body across the board, IMHO.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Does it sound like two squeaks.. a pause... and two more squeaks?

If so, it's not the lens.  It's the sound of the self-cleaning (dust-removal) feature in the camera.  It puts a piezo-electric charge on the front filter inside the camera to make it vibrate.  As cameras age, this can eventually be heard audibly as a squeak.

It's actually nothing to worry about.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements