cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon is screwing us with their repair policies.

echelonphoto
Enthusiast

I have been using Canon digital cameras since the venerable D60...I have owned the 1Ds, 1Dsmk2, IDsmk3, 5d, 5d2

5d3 , 1d2...mostly full frame cameras. I have used these in the practice of my successful photography business. Quite a

while ago...I learned of a very hard working, talented independent repairman...trained in Japan...now working here. He is

a great guy and will give you quick, very personal service at a very fair price. While I occasionally sent items to the Canon

factory repair in the past...they usually took too long, didn't really listen to your problem accurately, and charged way too much. So when I found my independent guy...I was ecstatic....the very first repair...I had a body that was not focusing accurately....this is before microfocus adjustments built into cameras. It was way off. He personally tested this camera and

worked on it for two hours while I waited there....then when it was done and knocking off razor sharp images....he said..."no

charge this time". This is the kind of guy he is. For the last 4 years I have had such confidence in my equipment...knowing that if something happened (such as when I dropped my 24-70 lens) I could have it back usually in

time for my next important assignment....without too much sting to my wallet

I have just found out that Canon...in their ultimate wisdom, has decided not to produce parts for some of the older cameras like the 1Ds mk2...1Dmk2....so now my guy can't repair them. They have also blocked his ability to get software

and calibration targets for the newer bodies like the 1ds mk3...5d3,  1dx, etc. So now pros like me will have to ship our

cameras to Canon Service and hope we get them back in a reasonable time and without taking out a mortgage.

Not only have they obsoleted some very useable and excellent camera bodies.....but they are now punishing

hard working , honest guys like my tech. I suppose he will have to go out of business soon. Pros out there....lend your

voice to this cause.....complain to Canon about these imperialist policies.

11 REPLIES 11

Your goal is noble but I think fleeting. Mainly for the reasons Mr. cicopo has made. Look at Microsoft. They have been using us as beta testers for years! My favorite repair guy, Gass Camera, has stopped servicing all of the newer DSLR bodies. He refuses them right at the counter.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I understand what you are saying...but there is strength in numbers.....just look at what we did with the "focus with flash

problem" on the 5d mark 3.....Canon is now addressing the problem seriously after 4 months and 16 pages of posts.

Announcements