cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon T3 got wet, won't turn on

Cameron4459
Apprentice
I was shooting at the beach and a wave splashed the camera a bit - it barely got wet so I didn't think it was a problem. A few minutes later I tried to take a picture and it said the connection between the lens and the camera was faulty, and I should clean the lens. The camera functioned but couldn't take pictures. I took the lens off and put it back on, and it stopped turning on altogether!

I got back to the hotel, looked inside and there wasn't any water inside aside from a droplet or two. However the lens definitely had some water in it.

Any suggestions on what I should do? I have the lens and camera set out drying currently, with the battery and SD card removed.

I'm a broke exchange student who can't afford a new camera and needs the camera in working condition asap, any ideas would help a lot!! Thank you!
6 REPLIES 6

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Sorry, I did the exact same thing. It never recovered. So I got a new T6S. Like you it seemed that the lens got a lot more splash than the camera, but the lens seems to be fine.

You can send it to Canon, but they might not touch it.

@kvbarkley wrote:

Sorry, I did the exact same thing. It never recovered. So I got a new T6S. Like you it seemed that the lens got a lot more splash than the camera, but the lens seems to be fine.

You can send it to Canon, but they might not touch it.

Whether it's salt water or fresh water can make a big difference. Fresh water can sometimes dry out without leaving much damage. Salt water, an excellent conductor of electricity, is both corrosive and an electrical threat to sensitive components. If you live near the ocean, you need a beach camera. (Mine is an XTi with an old Sigma 18-50 zoom. Good in its day, but expendable now.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Any suggestions on what I should do?"

I am afraid it is done but you can and should have a go at drying it.  Don't do the really stupid rice in a bag trick. It doesn't work.  Water especially salt water and cameras don't do well together.  If it is ruined from the water, it isn't a candidate for repair.  Even if Canon would fix it, which they won't, it would cost more than a new T3.

However, you can try all the things like calling Canon Support.  Drying it on a warm heating pad for several days. Maybe a week or so!  Don't turn it on again until it has had ample time to dry. Open all doors or compartments you can and leave them open. You might get lucky.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I am afraid it is done but you can and should have a go at drying it.  Don't do the really stupid rice in a bag trick. It doesn't work.  Water especially salt water and cameras don't do well together.  If it is ruined from the water, it isn't a candidate for repair.  Even if Canon would fix it, which they won't, it would cost more than a new T3.

However, you can try all the things like calling Canon Support.  Drying it on a warm heating pad for several days. Maybe a week or so!  Don't turn it on again until it has had ample time to dry. Open all doors or compartments you can and leave them open. You might get lucky.

Yeah, what he said.  And, do go poking your fingers around inside the camera body.  Keep it away from drafts, too, while it is opened up like that.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Yeah, what he said.  And, do go poking your fingers around inside the camera body.  Keep it away from drafts, too, while it is opened up like that.

Don't you mean "do not go poking ..."?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Don't you mean "do not go poking ..."?

Yeah, what he said. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements