cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Rebel T6 questions/ New to all this..

kittyvannever
Apprentice
So I got the canon rebel T6 and I really wanted a DSLR I'm super new to all this coming from High End point and shoots.. the T6 is great.. just a few things that irk me that I wish I would have known about BEFORE I bought it...
Doesn't take an external microphone
Auto-focus on video lacks (not sure if it's just me not knowing what I'm doing)
Wish I had someone to help me in person to learn. YouTube is great but usually learn better hands on in person.. I can usually attempt to follow.. depends.. are there any lenses that auto focus during video that aren't atrociously loud? And how do you sync audio to videos via external microphone? Is there any videos to try to follow along with? I've heard about a "clap method"?

Also, just any other tips and help for someone new to the DSLR life. I'm lost on leaning settings/terms/etc..
5 REPLIES 5

@kittyvannever wrote:
So I got the canon rebel T6 and I really wanted a DSLR I'm super new to all this coming from High End point and shoots.. the T6 is great.. just a few things that irk me that I wish I would have known about BEFORE I bought it...
Doesn't take an external microphone
Auto-focus on video lacks (not sure if it's just me not knowing what I'm doing)
Wish I had someone to help me in person to learn. YouTube is great but usually learn better hands on in person.. I can usually attempt to follow.. depends.. are there any lenses that auto focus during video that aren't atrociously loud? And how do you sync audio to videos via external microphone? Is there any videos to try to follow along with? I've heard about a "clap method"?

Also, just any other tips and help for someone new to the DSLR life. I'm lost on leaning settings/terms/etc..

These days, most DSLRs are capable of shooting video. But a DSLR, particularly a low-end DSLR like a T6, is not a video camera. Those who buy one thinking that it is, are probably doomed to disappointment.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

kittyvannever
Apprentice
Yeah, I've noticed. Wish I would have researched more before I bought it.

@kittyvannever wrote:
Yeah, I've noticed. Wish I would have researched more before I bought it.

If it is any consolation, the cost of a camera body that can handle video in the way that you seem to expect would cost more than twice what you probably paid for your T6.  I am thinking specifically about the EOS 80D.  

Some of the high end Rebels come close to focusing during video, but there is a noticeable lag where the image may go out of focus on a face, and then snap back into focus as the person moves.  The 80D uses a totally different type of focusing system for video compared to the high end Rebel camera bodies.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

kittyvannever
Apprentice
Thanks!

John_SD
Whiz

@kittyvannever wrote:

I am also a relatively new T6 user. However, I did do my research prior to my purchase and the T6 suits my needs perfectly for now.  

While I have no interest in video, I wanted to learn about DSLR photography in general and the T6 kit is serving its purpose very well in that regard. I don't believe anyone needs high-end glass or a semi-pro body to learn the basics. If an individual never learns how to select autofocus points, change the servo mode, learn how to adjust shutter speed, aperature, and ISO to achieve his or her vision, then I am not sure that expensive glass and a semi-pro body will be of much use. Let's just say I've known a few who have spent a small fortune on gear believing that expensive hardware is a substitute for study, knowledge and acquired skill. When reality hits them, into the closet the gear goes.

I am a big one on self-study. Step one should be to download the PDF version of the T6 Instruction Manual and make use of it. See www.canon.com/icpd. I read a bit of mine daily, shoot almost daily, and learn something new daily. And I am becoming quite comfortable with the camera itself. You will start feeling a lot more confident when you become more fluent in the basic controls.

For me, Youtube is hit or miss -- mostly miss. I grew weary of listening to these Youtube clods ramble on and on in their bedrooms and never make their point clearly.

I signed up for one of The Great Courses -- Fundamentals of Photography, taught by Joel Sartore. It is available online. It is quite extensive. No, it isn't free, but very reasonable. I got it on sale for $69.95. I recommend it wholeheartedly. I've also purchased a few books. 

I mention all of this for one simple reason. I have seen post after post, here and elsewhere, from folks who seem completely befuddled by the basics. It needn't be that way. There is a ton of information and education available. I am finding DSLR photography very enjoyable. This is a fabulous forum and I have learned much of value here. There is a lot to learn. I wish I would have  gotten back into the hobby sooner. Be that as it may, I am loving every second of it. I hope you do, too. 

Announcements