cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R7 IBIS options when using IS lenses

Texmex0619
Apprentice

Hi everyone! i just recently bought a canon r7 had a question.

I have an rf 100-400mm f/5.6-8 is usm lens that i use with the R7. This lens has a IS switch which means it has IS built into the lens. I googled about the R7 and found out it has IBIS in the body. when i detach the lens and go into my menu and go to IS mode (on slide 8 in the red menu) a lot of options show up about IBIS and it seems to be working properly (even though the lens is detached). but when i attach the lens the only option that shows up is just digital IS. can someone help me? i want to be able to use IS on my lens and IBIS on my camera at the same time to get super stable shots!

i hope this makes sense, if it doesn’t let me and and if you can help me out please comment!! thanks a lot !!

2 REPLIES 2

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi and welcome to the forum:

According to my own experience and research, when the camera does not detect a lens with optical Image Stabilization, then a host of options come up, but when the camera detects such a lens it will automatically combine the lens' IS with the camera's IBIS and there is only one options thereafter - to turn both on or off via the switch on the lens.  As per this reference on P290 of the Advanced User Guide: which I recommend you download and use as your primary reference.

Tronhard_0-1727068443780.png

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ctitanic
Rising Star

Trevor has explained the option very well.

That said, I have noticed that IS does not work the same in all lenses. I even have found that Image stabilization works better in some Tamron lenses adapted to Canon RF ecosystem. Go and figure it.

Frank
Gear: Canon EOS R6 Mark I, Canon 5D Mark III, EF100-400 L II, EF70-200 f2.8 II, RF50 and few other lenses.
Flickr, Blog: Click Fanatic.
Announcements