ArolfM
Contributor

Shooting in C-Log, Canon RF 24-70 2.8, ISO: 400 SHUTTER: 1/125

Canon R6 Senor Banding (C-LOG)

11 REPLIES 11

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If this is a screenshot from social media, then I would not use this as a metric for image quality.  Banding is most often caused by heavy image processing of [JPG] files, something which is standard practice in social media.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Sorry about this lack luster of a post, I have provided some info. This was a video shot in CLOG, 4K 60 slowed down to 24fps, also used a Tiffen BPM 1/4 diffusion filter. All the lighting was natural no light bulbs in this shot, just the window lighting. I just noticed this now with some specific shots with back lighting, I don't know if it's a sensor issue with the 4K over sampling or how I might be grading the CLOG footage but I have everything corrected.

@ArolfM wrote:

Sorry about this lack luster of a post, I have provided some info. This was a video shot in CLOG, 4K 60 slowed down to 24fps, also used a Tiffen BPM 1/4 diffusion filter. All the lighting was natural no light bulbs in this shot, just the window lighting. I just noticed this now with some specific shots with back lighting, I don't know if it's a sensor issue with the 4K over sampling or how I might be grading the CLOG footage but I have everything corrected.

If it does not happen all of the time, under all circumstances, then the issue could [not] be the sensor.  Could it?

ArolfM
Contributor
I don’t know yet, I have gone on Reddit and one redditor said that it was my way of bringing up the shadow details in CLOG and that showed the “banding”

@ArolfM wrote:
I don’t know yet, I have gone on Reddit and one redditor said that it was my way of bringing up the shadow details in CLOG and that showed the “banding”

Again.  Logic says if it only happens some of the time, then problem is not the sensor, or the entire camera for that matter.

As I said above, banding comes from over processing of images.

"bringing up the shadow details"

Some of the banding pattern in the area you enclosed appears to follow the shape of the person's hair pattern; light and dark pattern of how the hair laid and the lighting on it.

Depending on the shooting conditions there may be little or no details in the shadow area. Brightening the shadows won't add data where there is none, so that is a likely explanation  by the redditor.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

mixist
Apprentice

This EXACT type of banding happened to me just yesterday and I'm reviewing files today. Same R6 shadow banding in 4k60, outdoor shoot (no artificial lighting). The only thing I can really do is crush the shadows. Anyone else see this issue? The included screenshot is a person walking away from the camera and falling out of focus intentionally, which is a condition that apparently emphasizes the sensor banding.

R6Banding2.jpg

I have a R6 for a month and I noticed the same issue. I wrote to canon service and they told me it's NOT an issue of the camera, since this problem is also described in the manual (in my language it's on page 318, under "Canon LOG settings"). Very disappointed...

franzbato
Apprentice

Mine is so bad too, ive only noticed it when I started using CLOG 3 (iso 800)

Heres what I found from Canons manual, I'm waiting for Canon to get back to me. 

Screen Shot 2022-10-15 at 7.59.25 am.png

CLOG3 GRADED.jpgCLOG3 GRAIN.jpg

Announcements