cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R6 MKII Focus setup

wrk4no1
Contributor

I purchased this camera a month ago and have searched for the best setting for photographing sports, wildlife etc. What I can't figure out is how to setup a single point so that the camera doesn't select some other object in the frame. hope that makes sense. For example, I have four objects on a table my single point box is pointing at one of the items, but the camera tries to lock on to one of the other objects. For the life of me I cannot figure out why. See images one shows the spot AF on a hat. The second image shows the camera trying to focus on the box to the left of the hat.

PXL_20230422_172220359.jpgPXL_20230422_172222508.MP.jpg

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

I think your best bet is to call Canon support at 1-800-OK-CANON and have them work you through it. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

Try taking it out of servo and using "One shot", also disable "Whole area tracking Servo AF". You can make both of these changes in the AF 1 menu dropdown, or by using the "Q" button and tapping the options on screen. To disable Whole area tracking when using the Q button, select a focus point configuration and toggle it (on/off) by tapping the Whole area tracking icon/INFO in the lower left of the AF point selection screen.

Not sure if this will get you the results you are expecting, but it will just take few minutes to try.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Looks like you have auto subject detection enabled.  See page 485 in the User Manual as well as following pages for manually selecting a subject for focus.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

7 REPLIES 7

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Most of the time One shot and just the center focus point will be best. Are you in P, Av, or Tv mode? If not try it using one of those modes.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

wrk4no1
Contributor

Thanks for the reply. I am in manual mode. Issue is i cannot get the camera to just focus on what i want it to be focus on. It just defaults to the nearest object it seems and not the spot focus.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Generally the camera will try and focus on the closest object that has sufficient contrast for the focusing system. While it looks like the white area against the black background should have good contrast the displayed focus point isn’t an exact representation of the actual focus point. Try placing the focus point on the brim of the cap and capture the hat and the white paper and see if that helps. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Yes, so how can you force the camera to ignore what is closer and only focus on the single point? Another example i had a group of people in a formation and i wanted to focus only on 1 person in the group but the camera would not let me do so. On my 5D mkIII i have no problem using a single point AF.

I think your best bet is to call Canon support at 1-800-OK-CANON and have them work you through it. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

Try taking it out of servo and using "One shot", also disable "Whole area tracking Servo AF". You can make both of these changes in the AF 1 menu dropdown, or by using the "Q" button and tapping the options on screen. To disable Whole area tracking when using the Q button, select a focus point configuration and toggle it (on/off) by tapping the Whole area tracking icon/INFO in the lower left of the AF point selection screen.

Not sure if this will get you the results you are expecting, but it will just take few minutes to try.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Looks like you have auto subject detection enabled.  See page 485 in the User Manual as well as following pages for manually selecting a subject for focus.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements