cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R5 Overheating with firmware 1.5.2

llehmann
Enthusiast

Using the following settings I had my new R5 overheat within 30 minutes of normal use at a wedding. 
Also called BH Photo and Video support and they were also able to replicate the problem. Amazing support since this is not their problem!

Firmware version 1.5.2

One test using only CF Express Card
One test using only SD Card
The CF Express card lasted about 15 minutes longer before the overheating situation happened.

Set the camera to video.
1080P  (Not using 4K or 8K as those had known isssues)
120FPS
Should have a max record time of 7:29 with these settings. Do a couple long recordings of 7 minutes long with the back LCD running. For me... the max record time dropped to 5,4,3,2 then 1 minute after 2 recordings.
At 2 minutes the overheating symbol starts flashing. After a couople more recordings max record time was 1 minute than flashing 0:00. Camera done.

For me... it happened within 2 full 7 minute recordings. For B&H... they saw the same thing happen after 4 recordings. Now, this was just to test the problem. I normally record 10 to 30 seconds at a time. We just did full 7 minute recordings to replicate the problem faster. 

I called Canon Support and they refused to even test the problem on their end as this shouldn't happen. That's really poor support as they said this should not happen. They also had me check the OverHeating option was checked in the menu. With the new firmware 1.5.2 this option is no longer in the menu system! Camera Icon, sub-menu 8.

I was wondering if anyone else could test this with their R5. Possible test it with a different firmware version, and then with the latest version 1.5.2?

PS: Setting the camera back to 60FPS turned off the overheating and I could use the camera. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I'm really sorry you're having problems with the R5. That's a big investment to have it not work for you.

There are as many use cases as there are people, and they're all valid. Yours, as you explained it, makes perfect sense; it's just a shame that it doesn't work on the R5.

I personally think it's a fantastic video camera -- having been using it since last July -- but with limitations. If someone had asked me if I would use it for weddings, for example, I would have said no, because of the record time limit. If you're recording an hour-long ceremony, you'll hit that before it overheats, at least at 24 FPS.

I have to say I'm surprised you're getting overheating relatively quickly, at 1080p. But then again, the camera is juggling 35 megapixels and downscaling from 8k to 2k, all at 120 FPS... so thinking about it, maybe not so much. Which doesn't help you, of course.

Between the issues you've identified with the R6, and the overheating on the R5... I hesitate to mention this, because it's another huge cost, but it sounds like the R5C would be ideal for you. I just ran couple of battery tests shooting 4k at 120 FPS; I got 39 minutes and 43 minutes back to back, no overheat, just the fan came on. Battery life isn't great on the R5C, but there's no record time limit, overheating seems like it's solved, and it does "Double slot recording" (i.e. dual slot). You can run it with USB power if you have a 30W PD battery bank and cable. One thing is that the operating system is totally different to the other R cameras, it's more like the C70.

Anyhow, I hope you can get something working.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

I don't mean to put the term "lemon" on everyone.

The reason I shoot 120FPS. I am a wedding videogorapher. So I shoot all my getting ready clips which are usually 30 seconds long. So in an hour or 2, I will make 30 to 50 short clips. I can't get throught this part of my day without having the issue. These are all edited and delivered in slow motion. So, shooting at 120 helps make them feel smoother. I then shoot the ceremony at 60FPS for sound. (I deliver at 30FPS in the end). Then the newlweds is shot at 120. Recpetion speeches at 60FPS. Reception party at 120FPS. End of the day, I will have captured 150 to 300 video clips on 2 cameras. If using a second videographer. At a wedding... I don't want to deal with over heating problems. Nor do I want to just have to shoot at 60FPS because the camera can't handle anything else. For me, a wedding photographer, in the style I shoot, it just doesn't work. 

I know I can shoot all day long at 60FPS and 1080P. And it will work without fail.

I received my CFExpress cards in this week. I tested just shooting at 1080P and 60P and the camera got hot. After 2-30 minulte clips... I switched back to 120FPS and the camera wont' work. It was already overheated. A ceremony will last anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour on average.. so this is normal use for me. 

The reason I bought the R5 instead of another R6 was because the R5 supports dual recording in both the camera and externally. It also supported having both the camera display and an external monitor working at the same time. The R6 will only do recording and display either on the camera or on an external monitor. Not both.

Now, people will say, then just buy the monitor! But now Im back to just the funcationality of the R6. I still won't be able to make mulitple redordings at the same time. And I paid an extra $1400usd for bascially nothing. Nothing for the use that I need it for. 

All that being said. Because Im dealing with all the overheating problems which I don't have from my R6... Im just selling it and taking the loss. Im good with it.

Appreciate the help

I'm really sorry you're having problems with the R5. That's a big investment to have it not work for you.

There are as many use cases as there are people, and they're all valid. Yours, as you explained it, makes perfect sense; it's just a shame that it doesn't work on the R5.

I personally think it's a fantastic video camera -- having been using it since last July -- but with limitations. If someone had asked me if I would use it for weddings, for example, I would have said no, because of the record time limit. If you're recording an hour-long ceremony, you'll hit that before it overheats, at least at 24 FPS.

I have to say I'm surprised you're getting overheating relatively quickly, at 1080p. But then again, the camera is juggling 35 megapixels and downscaling from 8k to 2k, all at 120 FPS... so thinking about it, maybe not so much. Which doesn't help you, of course.

Between the issues you've identified with the R6, and the overheating on the R5... I hesitate to mention this, because it's another huge cost, but it sounds like the R5C would be ideal for you. I just ran couple of battery tests shooting 4k at 120 FPS; I got 39 minutes and 43 minutes back to back, no overheat, just the fan came on. Battery life isn't great on the R5C, but there's no record time limit, overheating seems like it's solved, and it does "Double slot recording" (i.e. dual slot). You can run it with USB power if you have a 30W PD battery bank and cable. One thing is that the operating system is totally different to the other R cameras, it's more like the C70.

Anyhow, I hope you can get something working.

I think you'll find that most of the heat is generated in the camera's processor, not the CF card.  The card does get hot, like everything, but the camera's CPU is doing a colossal amount of work.

llehmann
Enthusiast

I would agree with that... but then using an external recorder shouldn't fix the problem. 
I haven't tried that yet, but its seems to be the fix with other photographers. 

The cost difference between the R5 and R6 is $1400usd. ($2499 and $3899). Huge dissapointment and waste of money for me personally. And I have a camera that looks like it will only be good for photo now. Unless I spend more money to install the "trailer on my new car". 😞

Booooooo Canon!!!!!

PS: Still appreciate your time and help with this.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,
Box gone... Without a return option, I believe you should resign yourself to working with Canon. I have no idea what level of support you can expect at your location. You can see what I did (below) in order to avoid this and unfortunately, I am not in a position to assist with testing. One experience I can share is the that the summer heat in Mazatlain and PV would push any camera to its heat threshold. Especially this time of year.

From a video standpoint, @AtticusLake is one of the most experienced (video centric) users here, especially with the R5. I certainly trust his advice. He's probably seen just about everything the camera will or won't do. I hope you can figure something out short of a Ninja V+.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements