cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 Using HDMI output and LCD simultaneously for stills

kulmmii
Apprentice

I'm coming from a Sony world and there is one feature that I can't find to work with my Canon R5 that I did with Sony.

I would like to shoot stills with Canon R5 and show the images that i've taken (or what i'm seeing through the camera) from the external monitor with HDMI. Now it seems that I can only see everything only from TV but I can't use my cameras viewfinder or LCD screen at all when TV is connected. It works with video but not with stills. Why?

I wish Canon would add this feature because I really do need it while shooting with some clients. I have external monitor Atomos Shinobi and it was so easy to use it as a "mirror" to show the results.

I don't wanna plug and unplug the HDMI cable all the time to get this work. Any suggestions? Carrying extra laptop all the time and using Canon apps isn't really handy.

9 REPLIES 9

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

Greetings kulmmii,

Currently, the EOS R5 does not provide the option for using both displays (LCD and external HDMI display) when the camera is in the photo shooting mode compared to how it's available when the camera is in the video recording mode.

In the meantime, I can submit your feedback to our engineers for consideration and may be incorporated in future releases. Please note that decisions to incorporate a particular camera design are made by our engineers and product designers in Japan, based on a number of factors. Consumer demand, technological limitations, and customer feedback are all taken into consideration.

Thank you for the quick reply. I would really appreciate if you could forward my wish to the engineers/dev team to look out for. What I have been reading online forums and Facebook conversation now there are also other people who are eager to have this function enabled as well to the still photos menu (not only for video) as it is useful in many cases to have dual monitor/display setup (camera+monitor) even with stills. I was little surpriced that it was not on my R5 when changed from Sony. Anyway, beside that Canon R5 is best there is. Thank you!

You can provide feedback to Canon by visiting the Canon Homepage and at the bottom amongst the various links, click on "[+] Feedback" and then select "PRODUCT" from the popup window.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Thank you 🙂

Here are few reasons why I like to have this function to be enabled: 

• Atomos Shinobi has really good extra features that Canon does not have and also it is bigger screen for most situations it is really good even in direct sunlight. If I only use external monitor I can't use (or it is harder to use) Canons touch screen functions at all because cameras display is not in use
  • Some clients wants to see beforehand what they are getting so I have shown them with Atomos (like it would be a mirror) what they are seeing is what they are going to get at the same time when I'm taking the pictures. (I don't want to carry computers or use wifi all the time because it drains battery quicker). Atomos producs have really good battery life and easy to carry along.
  • Educational purposes

Thank you!

Hi Natalya. I would like to express my interest in having this function on the R5 as well. I am a studio photographer, and I use live view on an external HDMI monitor to set up shots, and help my stylist see what they are doing on set. I do however need to look through the viewfinder at times to recompose or to capture action that is happening on set, and for me, seeing the external monitor is not always possible, due to scrims and flags on set blocking the view from the camera. I would greatly appreciate if Canon could enable this feature in future software updates, so that I can use the LCD and EVF while being connected via HDMI to an external monitor, similar to when the camera is in video recording mode.  Thanks

Refer to the link and instructions I provided earlier in order to provide Canon with your feedback.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

This is kind of a needy feature where we should be able to have clean HDMI output from the camera in Photo Shooting mode and should be allowed to take photo while HDMI is out. It greatly helps to document and also take the pics while using the photo mode. Hope this would be soon integrated into R5, R6 line like we have already in Sony Setup. I am seriously thinking to move out of Canon System to Sony just because of this as Canon still does not support hybrid shooting with external monitor in phot shoot mode.

It would be nice to have a 'clean feed' hdmi out in stills mode as requested here.  I have put that in for feedback.  I want to be able to use an external video transmitter to transmit what is on the lcd screen to multiple devices while also using the lcd and viewfinder for actually shooting. Unable to do this as of now.  I will have to use the utility app with one ipad but I find in connection between the two isn't reliable for professional use.

Announcements