cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R5 Freezing with Firmware 1.7: Seeking Help and Solutions

Freddy_Viana
Contributor

Hello everyone,

I purchased the Canon R5 brand new around six months ago and have had a mostly positive experience until today. While shooting videos at an outdoor location (using FHD 23.98P IPB video quality) in a temperature of around 30.2°F, my camera started to freeze the recording in between one and two minutes. I could see that the recording had stopped on the screen, but when I tried to play the video, it was not there.

The cards I am using are a ProGrade Digital 128 GB CFexpress card and an SD SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB.

I am wondering if this freezing issue is related to the temperature? I have not experienced this issue while recording indoors. If anyone has any suggestions or solutions to avoid this problem, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

8 REPLIES 8

Hi SaraFoster,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I will continue to investigate this issue, as the temperature I am shooting in is very close to the recommended operating range by Canon. Therefore, this should not be a problem. I have also followed photographers who go on expeditions to very cold countries and they do not use any protective gear around their cameras, and so far, I have not heard of any problems.

I will also take a look at your suggestion regarding the memory card for cold weather.

Once again, thank you

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings Freddy_Viana,

If this is the only instance you've experienced freezing when shooting video under these conditions and settings, then It's possible the freezing temperature caused the issue.  I know SanDisk cards are capable of operating and performing in extreme temperatures, cold / hot, but I'm not aware of any cards that are specifically manufactured for this use.  I use ProGrade cards in my R5 C, but I don't think I've shot in weather cooler than 40°.

If it only happened this one time it could have been power delivery or the formatting on the card.  I'm less inclined to believe it was the camera's hardware but anything's possible.  

For extreme cold weather shooting, using two or three batteries is usually a good idea.  Batteries can be rotated or swapped out with a spare that you have inside a pocket next to your body to keep it warm.  If you're unable to reproduce the behavior, then you'll have to attribute it to environmental conditions that day.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hello Rick,

Thank you for your suggestions. I am primarily a landscape photographer and do not use the video capabilities of my camera often. However, when I do use them, the videos are usually short (less than 5 minutes). During my recent shooting, the issue that occurred happened a few times.

Regarding formatting the cards, I never take them out of the camera as I have had some bad experiences in the past. Instead, I use the Canon EOS Utility software to transfer all the files to my computer and format the cards in-camera. Therefore, I do not think that formatting could be the problem.

I will try to use my camera outdoors again in the next few days and will report back if anything else happens.

Thank you again for your help.

Freddy_Viana
Contributor

Hi again,

just checked the ProGrade CF express card specs and shows that I am operating within the range:

ProGrade Digital 128GB CFexpress Type B Memory Card (Gold): Operating Temperature14 to 158 Degree F (-10 to 70 Degree C)

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Yes.  SanDisk, ProGrade and AngelBird (all the cards I use) seem to be rated in the same operating temps range you mentioned.  Will be curious to hear if it happens again.  

If possible, please provide additional information, lens(s) you are using, adapters (model?) and anything else you feel might be relevant.  Face Detection mapped to Back Button, etc.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick,

While I have not done a second test, here is some more info of the equipment:
- RF 24-70 mm f2.8 brand new

- camera configuration is pretty much the standard (just maped some custom modes for manual shooting on C1 for braketing, C2 for AF subject humans, C3 for AF subject animals). 

will update once I have more info

🙂

Just a quick update: I attempted to record short videos under similar conditions once again, but I encountered the same problem as before - the video stopped before reaching the 2-minute mark. Frustrated by this, I decided to record a video using my cellphone to demonstrate the issue, but the camera worked perfectly this time around. I will continue testing this week to see if the problem persists or if it was just a one-time glitch.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

At the very least, it sounds like you might be a little closer to reproducing the behavior.

Consider backing up your settings to a card and fully resetting the camera.  Both main and custom settings.  Then perform the same battery of tests 10 or more times consecutively with a brief pause bwtween each test.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements