cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R3 Shutter Speed Max 1/200 in Manual

Turfblur
Apprentice

Trying to underexpose a shot and use commercial flash lighting to highlight. In manual mode it caps at 1/200 but when I take off remote flash trigger it allows me to go to 1/8000. What controls this and how do you turn off? I want the background under exposed with 1/8000 and flash to trigger. I'm lost at what controls this and how to disengage. Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

1/200 is the fastest flash sync speed for the R3 which is why it won't let you choose a faster shutter speed when it senses a flash trigger is attached.  A faster shutter speed doesn't allow for the camera to properly sync the flash and shutter so it disallows an operation which it isn't capable of properly performing.  This is common behavior for both DSLR and mirrorless bodies when using external flashes.  IF you have an external flash that provides high speed sync (basically it fires multiple flashes), then in HSS mode you can go with a higher shutter speed.

But if you were able to command a regular flash to fire at at a fast shutter speed with your R3, you would end up with a bunch of dark bars alternating with over-exposed areas if using a shutter speed faster than the camera's maximum capable sync speed.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

1/200 is the fastest flash sync speed for the R3 which is why it won't let you choose a faster shutter speed when it senses a flash trigger is attached.  A faster shutter speed doesn't allow for the camera to properly sync the flash and shutter so it disallows an operation which it isn't capable of properly performing.  This is common behavior for both DSLR and mirrorless bodies when using external flashes.  IF you have an external flash that provides high speed sync (basically it fires multiple flashes), then in HSS mode you can go with a higher shutter speed.

But if you were able to command a regular flash to fire at at a fast shutter speed with your R3, you would end up with a bunch of dark bars alternating with over-exposed areas if using a shutter speed faster than the camera's maximum capable sync speed.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements