cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon M50 Mark II - Setup as Clean HDMI Out, but I am getting Live View Through HDMI

DonMTV
Contributor

Hey Everyone,

I just got myself a Canon M50 Mark II, also owning the M50. I got the Mark II so that I could have "Clean HDMI" out of the camera. Currently I have the setting set for that. I put the HDMI cable into the camera, and then into my capture card in my computer. What I am seeing in my livestream/recording software is a squished output of the "Live View" screen. I have video with bars on the top and bottom of the frame and a grey outline on the top and bottom of the frame. So basically I am not seeing the full 1920x1080 of the frame, but only seeing the output of the "Live View". I can record video to the SD card and the video is perfect. I am not sure what is going wrong, but it is sure frustrating. I also tested my Canon 90D and it works perfect, so it isn't my capture card or my software on the computer.

Thank you,

Don

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

12 REPLIES 12

DonMTV
Contributor

I saved a frame as an example of what I am dealing with. Any help would be great as to why this is happening. You can see the grey outlined bottom of the frame.

Doncapture - 07 February 2022 - 07-16-49 PM.00_00_00_00.Still001.jpg

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What do you see if you connect the camera HDMI to a monitor or a television?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle,

Thank you for the reply. It gives me the same "Live View" video as above. Squished, and visible grey line on the top and bottom of the frame. The HDMI Clean is set, so that means I should get the full sensor output through the HDMI and not the "Live View" output of the LCD. My Canon 90D is set for clean HDMI out, and I get the full HD frame, not the "Live View." 

So, the Canon M50 must have a setting related to "Live View" and clean HDMI that is causing this issue or the new Canon M50 Mark II is at fault. I would think that the camera is fine because I am able to record to the SD card.

Thank you, Don

Do you need to put the camera into video mode?

The video mode is selected on the dial. "Live View" is the only thing that is coming over the HDMI as you can see in the screen shot of the video that is being pulled into my computer. It is not the full HDMI of the sensor. It has to be a missed setting, or the camera is not switching what is coming over the HDMI as "Clean HDMI" is selected.

DonMTV
Contributor

I still haven't figured out this issue. I bought the M50 Mark II recently from Canon.com. I do not believe that there is anything wrong with the camera. It has to be a setting issue in the Menu. Anyone out there have an idea why I might still be seeing the "Live View" from the LCD screen coming through the HDMI cable?

Don

How many cables are plugginto the camera?  If you are using HDMI out, then you should not plug anything into the USB port to control the camera remotely.

The only cable that is connected to the Canon M50 Mark II is the HDMI cable. It is the same cable that I plug into my Canon 90D that I am getting the full 1920x1080 frame of video. The M50 Mark II is giving me the "Live View" of the LCD with the squished video and the grey lines top and bottom of the black bars horizontally. Just like frame capture above.

I am getting the correct video out of the Canon 90D, and I am not getting the correct video out of the Canon M50 Mark II. The "Clean HDMI" has been selected on both cameras. As I have explained above. The video out of the Canon M50 Mark II should be like that photo I shared above without the black bars.

It has to be a setting that I am not catching.

I dunno.  Check the video mode in the camera, and try resetting it back to factor defaults.  Otherwise, contact Canon Support.  I’m out of ideas.

Announcements