cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS Utility downloading issues with 7D mk2

Dweeb
Contributor
Hi All, I got a 7D mk2 2 weeks ago and I am having issues with downloading images to my PC Win 7 SP1 64bit, latest updates fresh reinstall when using the EOS Utility, (latest version) when it starts downloading pictures it stops at 175 or similar number and sits there either forever, or for a long time and then it continues and then stops the transfer again. Sometime it finishes and completes the download, sometime it just closes down (utility). (as it did now, just stopped and closed, downloaded 1178 out of 2889 pictures. 7D is on latest firmware. CF 64GB Lexar Professional 1066x UDMA7 I have disabled AntiVirus (its not my PC hardware issue performance wise) also all other software and hardware (scanners, printers...etc.) work fine. Any ideas why this is occurring ? or how to fix it ? thanks
12 REPLIES 12

amfoto1
Authority

Sorry, I really can't help you...

For one thing, I never use EOS Utilities to download images. I just use Windows Explorer and drag/drop/copy images from memory card to hard drive. Easy and pretty much fool proof.

I'd also never use a 64GB memory card. I would never "put all my eggs in one basket". If something goes wrong with a card (which has happened to me twice in 10+ years shooting mostly digital), I don't want to lose all my work. The largest cards I use are 16GB. I filled six of those last Sunday. It takes about 5 seconds to swap out a full card (a little over 500 RAW files) for a fresh card, including formating it. I use both Lexar and Sandisk cards... some 800X and some UDMA 7.

Are you using a card reader or are you connecting the camera to download from it?

If the latter, maybe the camera is going into sleep mode or the battery is low or there is some sort of overheating protection that causes it to pause. I use a card reader for faster and more reliable file transfers.

All this is just observations and guesses, of course. But, I hope it helps.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

Dweeb
Contributor
Thanks for the reply.
I actually have 2 different 64GB cards. One CF and SD. So if one craps out raw is on SD.
Yes directly from camera to PC. Battery is full. No overheating as far as I can tell.
Going to try few more things....

@Dweeb wrote:
...Yes directly from camera to PC....

Get a card reader and use that instead. It will probably solve your problem.

Some people worry about removing cards from their cameras frequently (you won't, with such massive memory cards)... They are concerned about damaging the memory card socket.

Actually, the USB socket is probably equally easily damaged from heavy and frequent use. I don't know for certain about the 7DII, but on many DSLRs the USB socket is part of the main circuit board, so would be far more involved and expensive to repair, than a damaged memory card socket.

I've done hundreds of memory card swaps and never damaged or worn out a socket. So, I think with reasonably care and handling, it's better to pull the card out of the camera and use a card reader to download images.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

Just ordered the Lexar Professional USB 3.0 Dual-Slot Reader (UDMA 7) LRW400CRBNA.  

Hoping that will do the trick  🙂

Thank you all for the assistance.

You can get my Lexar USB 3 (UDMA 7 I think) Card reader for free. Never worked completely. I use Kingston these days without any problems.

thanks for the offer, but I already ordered 😞

Peter
Authority
Authority

If I were you I would use Windows own transfer thingy until next version of Eos Utility.

Dweeb
Contributor
Seems like that's what I need to do.... kind of sad if you pay $$$$ for a camera and the software designed for it does not work properly.
I tried on 3 different PC's. Same thing. Randomly stops. Never completely downloading all 2800 pics.

2800 sounds like a lot of pics.  I can imagine all sorts of software issues that might not have been tested at such a high number.

Normally I import by putting the card in my computer (or in an external card reader) and let Lightroom do the import for me.  I never use the Canon utility (not for anything more than a couple of images anyway.)

I'm a recent convert to Lightroom ... having used Aperture for years.  But when Apple announced they would no longer be developing Aperture, I realized it's just a matter of time before some OS upgrade renders the software obsolete.  But one feature I took for granted with Aperture is that virtually everything is handled as a background process (including image imports.)  This means that as one thread is importing images into the library, you can actually be working on the images that are coming in without waiting for the import process to complete.  So far as I can tell... Lightroom wont let me touch the images until the entire import process is finished.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements