cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS Rebel T8i / 850D for live streaming via hdmi out

florinp
Contributor

Hello,

Does anyone here know if Canon EOS Rebel T8i 850D would be suitable for live streaming via hdmi out?

Is there a risc of overheating and shutdown, if used for streaming (1080p, 50 fps) for several hours (at least four hours in a row) via the hdmi out port, at normal room temperature, with autofocus on?

I intend to buy a camera for live streaming and I was considering Canon M200, Rebel SL3 and this model, T8i 850D.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@florinp wrote:

Hello,

Does anyone here know if Canon EOS Rebel T8i 850D would be suitable for live streaming via hdmi out?

Is there a risc of overheating and shutdown, if used for streaming (1080p, 50 fps) for several hours (at least four hours in a row) via the hdmi out port, at normal room temperature, with autofocus on?

I intend to buy a camera for live streaming and I was considering Canon M200, Rebel SL3 and this model, T8i 850D.

I think you would need a professional camera for that type of requirement.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

bewing
Apprentice

SOooo disheartening to read a clearly erroneous post like the above. I have 3 t8i's and 1 t7i and I stream for several hours almost every week. So it definitely CAN be done, but not without a little effort and insight!! my configuration is 1080p via HDMI, no audio, through OBS to YouTube. I have to turn autofocus off for the t7i or I get an irritating little focus box. Two t8i's work great, but one just died because, I think, I had autofocus on and it overheated. The third one turns off after 30 minutes and I'm pretty sure that's a setting issue. I'll try to post back here when I figure out exactly what that is, but here's a hint: when I bought them, I called Canon support and threatened to return them if I couldn't get clean HDMI without a shutdown. They stepped me through configuration  in "P" (program?) mode is all I retain. I work in P mode; "M" mode works but the video breaks up (wavy motion.)

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If the camera features “Clean HDMI Out”, then streaming should not be an issue.  It is a Rebel Series camera, so I do not think it features Clean HDMI output.

Overheating is always an issue with any camera.  Professional cameras contain internal fans.  DSLRs do not.

Hello, thank you for the reply! According to the manual, it does have clean HDMI output, both 4K and FullHD.

t8i-clean-hdmi.png

As to overheating, I think it depends on a number of factors, resolution, whether the camera is recording on the card or not, AF being used or not, and so on.

My guess is that only actual experience with this camera under the specific use-case scenario can tell, this is why I am asking on this forum.

I have this camera. You will STILL need to get a camcard from elgato. It's supposed to have clean HDMI out but it's never worked for me. It will also turn off automatically, at 29 minutes even if you set it not to.

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

florinp,

I don't know if this will have a bearing on your decision, but the manual says that with HDMI, there will be no sound output.

HDMI.jpg

I think that to use your T8o as a webcam, you use the USB port.

Read, "Can I Use My Canon EOS Rebel T8i As A Webcam?"

https://www.photographypursuits.com/canon-eos-rebel-t8i-as-a-webcam/

Steve Thomas

florinp
Contributor

Thank you stevet1, this is useful information.

I route sound separately via XLR cables, so, not having sound via the hdmi cable from the camera is not an issue.

The USB solution will not work for me, what I need to do is send the hdmi signal to a hdmi video switcher.

There is a post here on the forum from one user who says that after 40 minutes of live streaming, the display of the camera turns off. He does not say that the hdmi video signal stops. Basically, this suggests the camera is capable of live streaming at least 40 minutes.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS-DSLR-Mirrorless-Cameras/Canon-Rebel-T8i-Live-View-Turning-Off... 

What I try to find out if it would overheat or not, if used for longer periods (four hours at least), and with Dual-Pixel AutoFocus on. I saw that on other camera models, some users disable autofocus while live streaming, to avoid overheating issues.

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

florinp,

I ran across a website that addresses how to livestream using HDMI on a Canon SL3 for people who intend to stream out video on the Internet. You might find it helpful.

Please Note: That I do not have any connection with or stake in any of the products or software they mention in their article.

https://www.photographypursuits.com/canon-eos-rebel-sl3-hdmi-webcam/

Steve Thomas

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@florinp wrote:

Hello,

I think you would need a professional camera for that type of requirement.

florinp
Contributor

Thank you, you are right.

reservesteel9
Contributor

I use mine for my youtube channel ( @doingfedtime).  You WILL need a camcard 4k, from elgato. I don't care what anyone here says. The camera is supposed to be able to do clean HDMI out, but it won't. Also, don't plan on recording a video that's more than 29 minutes because the camera WILL shutoff on you even if you disable the auto shut off in the settings. You can see the camera quality on my channel. The live I did was with a different phone camera but everything else is the t8i. Their are better options out there, in my opinion, I am looking for one now.

20230210_122912.jpg20230210_122909.jpg

Announcements