cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS RP. Bad banding issue and black clipping.

Bohica
Contributor

Hi 

I just bought an RP brand new.

I have noticed a lot of banding in the shadows.

I tried multiple settings but noting seems to help..

+ I'm noticing that there is an issue with the black clipping in these same areas.

--- Here are some picture to show the problem.

( the only edit made is raised shadows to show the issue !)

--- And the pictures with people in it are to show the clipping problem..

Still showing clipping warnings + banding after raising exposure and/or shadows... 

(the original picture with no edit is to show the level of clipping strait out of camera.)

***If someone can help i would really appreciate 😉 ***1-ORIGINAL NO EDIT.png2-BLACK CLIPPING PROBLEM.png3-BANDING.pngScreenshot 2022-02-22 174304.pngScreenshot 2022-02-22 174548.pngScreenshot 2022-02-22 174628.png

14 REPLIES 14

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

This particular scene's dynamic range is very high and beyond the limits of what the camera can capture (dark interior areas with very bright window area).   What was captured looks OK to me.  No doubt some blacks will be crushed in this scene along with having blown out highlights.

Are you capturing your images in RAW or JPEG?  RAW will give you more editing capabilities, but scenes such as this one will still present challenges.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Capturing in raw. the settings appears on the right of the pictures..

The problem appears also when doing landscape outside. i chose this picture beacause its easy to see.

I had a 13 years old Olympus micro 4/3 camera before buying this one. And i have taken a lot of pictures with very high dynamic range and also high contrast for B/W, I never had any type of bending or noise like this.. Even if i push the editing to the MAX.. never even came close to seeing any bending or noise like this.. 

I'm sorry but .. i dont think its acceptable this kind of performance from a recent full frame when my old Olympus as still FAR better performance then this... and it was the professional model either...

By the way .. this happens whenever i have any type of shadows / dark section in the pictures....

If I were you I would go back to where I bought it and try a second one. If you are still not happy return it before the exchange window closes. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Sorry - my reply is earlier in the thread. I maybe should've put it here, but it's just an amen. Despite any gaslighting, it isn't the range, it's the camera. My only one of like 5 Canons to do this.

here i got some examples of pictures taken with the old camera.. I had to lift the shadows quite a bit in these ones.. i dont see anything close to this.._1212950.jpg_1161188_edited.jpg20220116-_1161186_edited.jpg20220116-_1161201.jpg20220130-_1304910.jpgonly shadows lifted to 100.only shadows lifted to 100.raw unedited for example..raw unedited for example..20211227_104940.jpg

Peter
Authority
Authority

Same sensor generation as 6D from 2012.

Don't you have any raw files to upload?

These were all raw files but had to export as jpg to upload in this chat. there is a size limit..

What about a file host?

Here. https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnF4Agrq8iuEgYdQAfuBuHzEDhPVOA?e=hdlekF

I have recreated a picture i had taken to test the shadows on my old olympus.

both raw. same settings.

U will see that it doesnt matter if u up the exposure OR the shadows, the olympus doesnt have any banding and the black clipping alert goes away when upping the shadows/exposure.

On the canon, u will get banding when u up shadow OR exposure..

The other picture is to show that even in a regular picture where there is practicly no black clipping, u can still start to see banding when u up exp/shadows.. (look at the pants of the lady)

Announcements