cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS R3 Freeze-up Issue - The likely cause!

sbunting
Contributor

My friends,

I believe I found the issue causing freeze-ups in the Canon R3!!!

Recall the following:

1) I experienced freeze-ups with my Canon R3 the first week I received it.

2) Canon CPS took the camera in for repair, replicated the issue, reinstalled the firmware, reset it to factory settings, tested it, found no more freeze-ups, declared it fixed and returned it to me.

3) I restored my settings manually and the freeze-ups still occurred.

4) Canon replaced my original R3 with a brand new R3

5) I updated my firmware to V1.1.1 and restored my settings from a CSD file this time, and the freeze-ups still occurred.

6) In all cases my freeze-ups were such that the buttons and dials would not respond (including power switch), yet touch functions still functioned including the smart controller. It would also freeze-up, at times, while asleep and could not be awakened. Of course, since the screen was black (asleep), no touch function could work. The only way to restore the camera was to pull the battery and then reboot the camera.

I have since, of course, contacted Canon and am awaiting a response, as Canon's engineering department seems to be in a denial mode, despite a Canon repair technician in Virginia having replicated the freeze-up issue when it first went in for repair.

I advised Canon that while I await their response, I was going to, one by one, change my settings to default and see if any particular setting eliminated the freeze-ups.

My first setting change was to restore the aperture and speed change dial settings to default, as I had them reversed. No change. I still had freeze-ups, so I restored my setting.

Next, I reasoned that, since the freeze-up even occurred while the camera was asleep, the only function I had changed that would involve activity during the sleep mode would be the GPS setting, which I had set to Mode 2. I disabled the GPS altogether. Since I have done so, I have left the camera on 24x7. Not once has it failed to awaken from sleep mode nor has it frozen at all while awake and being used. I have been testing for a solid week now (on 24x7) and I'm optimistic that this is the cause of the freeze-ups, as before I could rarely go a day without a freeze-up.  

I'm asking that some of you who are experiencing freeze-ups with the R3 such as I have been experiencing to check this setting and 1) verify it is enabled on your camera and 2) verify that by disabling it that the freeze-ups no longer occur.

Similarly, those of you who have an R3 and have experienced no freeze-ups, can you verify that your GPS is disabled.

Again, I'm optimistic that this is the issue, but I'd like to get feedback from others to verify what I'm experiencing before I approach Canon.

Steve

Canon EOS R3, Canon EOS R5, Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon 7D, Canon EF 14mm f2.8L USM, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L, Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM, Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM, Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM, Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS USM, Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro Lens, Canon RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM, Canon RF800mm F11 IS STM
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Lenses were with another post, but here goes.  All Canon L glass.  RF100-500, EF135, & EF17-35, the latter two with Canon adapters.  Complete Canon all the way.  CF card not an issue as it has occurred with the CF card removed.  Two different SD cards, both high end and so I think you can rule out SD cards.  The only thing I’ve done is disable GPS mode 2.  Boom, no more freeze up for two weeks running.

Canon EOS R3, Canon EOS R5, Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon 7D, Canon EF 14mm f2.8L USM, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L, Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM, Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM, Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM, Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS USM, Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro Lens, Canon RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM, Canon RF800mm F11 IS STM

View solution in original post

69 REPLIES 69

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi jagn4,

Since none of the trouble shooting in my reply and the forum chain resolved the issue we would recommend calling the CPS hotline to discuss repair warranty and CarePAK service options.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"What is the point of being a Platinum member and purchasing CarePak?"

I'm late to this conversation and I did not read all the posts. Being a CPS member for a very long time I can say they will get to the bottom of this problem. I have no doubt. First off they must replicate the problem on the bench in order to repair it. If they can't they can not do anything. On your part you must help them as much as possible. Include a letter stating exactly how it happens. As much detail as possible. I know how frustrating things like this can be but being polite on your end will go a long way in helping to resolving it.

In addition to the detailed letter, send everything you are using on, or with, the camera when it freezes up to CPS along with the R3.  R3, battery, lens, filters, memory cards, flash on or off camera, remote releases, etc., everything!

Exactly how it is when it freezes.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

edaniels6902
Apprentice

I bought a new R3 at the end of October 2022. I've had this freeze up happen twice. Firmware was the latest at the time (new firmware as of today 11/23, but haven't updated it), and the freeze/lockup would happen when it was in sleep mode. First time was using an adapted ef 400 2.8 IS mk-I, I could see the lcd screen on top was displaying current settings, but none of the buttons would work and the evf would not wake up. Had to remove the battery, then it seemed fine. It happened a second time, but can't remember what lens I was using...either an ef or rf 70-200 2.8. Same scenario: would not wake up after going into sleep mode.

GPS has been off since I set the camera up initially, so that's not the issue. Hasn't happened the past couple weeks, but I'm just waiting for it to happen again.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

FW 1.3.0 dropped yesterday. Doesn't mention anything about the freezing, but it won't hurt to upgrade and try it.

Canon Support for EOS R3 | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I saw that, but since my freezing issues don't happen too often, I'm leaning towards giving the firmware update a week or so, just in case there are issues.

I updated to 1.3 on the weekend as the lock ups are particularly frustrating shooting drag racing... The following day I was just hanging out at a local theme park with my daughter for her birthday and taking the odd shot and had no problems... then last night was back at the track for a mid week street meet and had no issues for most of the night, then 2 locks ups in about 5 minutes...

I have also found that since the lock up issue has become so common, I'm starting to automatically pull the battery whenever the camera is a little slow to wake up (sometimes I'll see the screen light up just as I unlock the battery and by then I'm already committed and the battery is out...)

Hopefully Canon are still looking as they haven't got it sorted yet...

(yes, GPS is _on_ and for reference, this was with an EF 200 f/2.8L non-IS and Canon control ring adaptor)

I think I need to backtrack a little on this - I was out shooting again the other night and made a conscious effort not to pull the battery when I thought the R3 had locked up, and it did wake up eventually, it was just really slow to do so, so perhaps an improvement has been made after all - only time will tell I guess... (it seems Canon isn't going to publicly admit there's an issue, so they're not likely to announce the fix either)

Had a couple lockups previously, then seemed fine. I had two yesterday (R3 with latest firmware) using a new RF 70-200 2.8 (also with new firmware). GPS has never been on, and both lockups were the camera not waking up after going into sleep/power save mode. I now find my self hearing the click of the evf turning off when it goes into this sleep/power save mode, and I'll press one of my af buttons and I listen for the click of the evf turning on.

This is becoming a little more frustrating.

Did it a couple more times this morning while shooting basketball. Curious if anyone at Canon recognizes this issue or even cares.

ETA: did it a few more times this week when shooting basketball. This time, however, I just waited to see how long it would stay frozen. The evf turned off as it went to sleep/power save mode. Pressed my back button focus, and nothing. I waited, and eventually saw the red indicator light on the back of the body flash, then it woke up. It happened a few more times, and I estimated it took 8-10 seconds to wake up. I'm glad it's not actually frozen, however I did miss some shots and it was frustrating.

bmitra
Contributor

Wow - this thread is making me think of whether I did the right thing switching to Canon from Nikon. This is like going on and on. Not comparing but had somewhat similar weird issue and Nikon resolved it within a month and sent considerable amount of freebies to the guy who found the solution.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements