cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS M50 wont take pictures with new lens?

ibpigeonmaster
Apprentice

So I have a canon eos m50, a friend of mine gave me an old canon 75 to 300mm zoom lens for EF cameras so I went on to amazon and bought a cheap 3rd party adapter from Fotodiox. Now, because of some unfortuante advertising on that product I didnt realize that it was a fully manual adapter. When I put it all together the lens looks surprisingly good but for some reason I cant take any photographs with it. I dont know a ton about cameras but basically im wondering if that lens can even take a picture with a manual adapter, I would assume it nees some kind of electronics for the shutter to even fire but then again im unsure if that would matter for a mirrorless camera. anyway any information is appriciated.

-thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

This adapter has no electrical communication with the lens and the camera thinks there is no lens attached. The camera has a setting to enable or disable shooting without a lens attached. You should really get the proper adapter with electronic contacts so that you can control Auto Focus and Aperture with the EF 75-300 lens.

In the mean time you can enable shooting in the Custom Function menu.

First, make sure the camera in not in the green "A" mode. Then look in the camera menu for Custom Functions and under CF II there will be an option for shutter release when no lens is attached. 

LINK: release the shutter when a lens is not attached

1E4A83EB-3E14-431D-B712-1F85AF7121C6.gif

Mike Sowsun

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

This adapter has no electrical communication with the lens and the camera thinks there is no lens attached. The camera has a setting to enable or disable shooting without a lens attached. You should really get the proper adapter with electronic contacts so that you can control Auto Focus and Aperture with the EF 75-300 lens.

In the mean time you can enable shooting in the Custom Function menu.

First, make sure the camera in not in the green "A" mode. Then look in the camera menu for Custom Functions and under CF II there will be an option for shutter release when no lens is attached. 

LINK: release the shutter when a lens is not attached

1E4A83EB-3E14-431D-B712-1F85AF7121C6.gif

Mike Sowsun

awsome, that did it. I have an electronic adapeter on its way but it will be nice to play around with this one until then. Thank you!

Thank you so much for this solution!  I never would have figured that out on my own.

hamed_y61
Contributor
Hey man, you are awesome.
I had same issue, and now Whit your advice, everything solved
Thanks
Announcements