cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 90D Autofocus Issues with EF 100-400mm L IS II USM

canon_eos_90D
Contributor

I recently bought a Canon EOS 90D body.

Unfortunately I'm encountering focus issues when using the body with the Canon 100-400mm L IS II lens.

When I'm trying to focus (using OVF) on an object (like a race car for instance) that's coming towards to me, the camera/lens won't focus.

The settings on my camera are: Autofocus > AI Servo, shutterspeed: 1/1000 - 1/2000. Normally those shutterspeeds should deliver me a sharp picture. But that's not the case.

When I attach the lens to a Canon 6D or 5D Mark IV I don't have any problems at all; the focus issues don't happen with those two bodies.

I know when a subject moves closer to or further away of the camera, the sensor can have some difficulties in focussing. But with the fast shutter speeds I should get sharp images, which is not happening with the 90D body.

Anyone an idea how I can solve this issue?

36 REPLIES 36

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Have you tested it using a tripod to photograph stationary objects, preferably at varying distances?  If not, try it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

When the cars are coming to me, they vary in distance...
Using a tripod at motorsports isn't that handy (it ain't wildlife photography...).
The lens and body were mounted on a monopod. We experimented with and without the monopod.

Same results... 😞

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@canon_eos_90D wrote:

I know when a subject moves closer to or further away of the camera, the sensor can have some difficulties in focussing. But with the fast shutter speeds I should get sharp images, which is not happening with the 90D body.

Your conclusion is simply not true.  A fast shutter speed does NOT correct auto focusing issues.  

I know - but with every other camera and compareble lens it works without these issues!
I only want to say that the chance of getting a sharper image may be greater by using a shutter speed to freeze te action.

@canon_eos_90D wrote:

Your conclusion is simply not true.  A fast shutter speed does NOT correct auto focusing issues.

Oh, yeah.  That part about fast shutter speeds being able to correct focusing distance issues is not true, either.  Can you post a sample photo of your issue.  Please include the SXIF data, exposure settings, camera AF mode and AF point settings, etc.

Until you do that, I am forced to assume that your issue is operator error, and lack of experience and expertise.

Assume what you want... Smiley LOL

This is funny!

They warned me already for this kind of comments...

@canon_eos_90D wrote:

Assume what you want... Smiley LOL

This is funny!

They warned me already for this kind of comments...

Post a sample photo that demonstrates the problem then.  I'll believe it when I see it.  Blame your own previous comments for me doubting your claims.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I can't speak to the 90D specifically, I have a 6D2.

However, I had a similar issue earlier this year at a indoor go-kart event.  This was the first time I ever saw my camera struggle.  I would think AI-Servo would be your best bet coupled with a  fast shutter speed.  Outside on a sunny day f11 or higher should yield sharp photos.  A freeze frame of the action with relatively sharp focus fore and aft of your subject.

**EDIT..  knowing now you were on a mono-pod

My question would be...  were you using IS?  If so, which mode?

See pages 8, 9 and 10

ef100-400f45-56lisiiusm-im-e.pdf (c-wss.com)

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hello Shadowsports

We've tried AI Servo and AI Focus, but the results stayed the same...

Thanks for the PDF regarding the lens. I'm going to read it thoroughly... but with the settings 1-2-3 we've also been playing...

Strange that the lens works faultless on the 6D and 5DIV...

Announcements