cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon A1 tune up price?

dknapp1117
Contributor

My son is wondering about how to shoot pics on film.  I am the original owner of a Canon A1 that I loved back in the day. I haven’t used it for 20 odd years and I think the shutter is sticky. What price would I expect for a general tune up and cleaning for just the body? Where’s a good place to send it out to?

Thank you 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Would be hard to guess about something like this.  Primarily because you might have difficulty finding someone who is capable or willing to work on a camera this old. 

Try garrys cameras in illinois.  Shows a flat fee of $78.  Note: I have no experience with this company

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Would be hard to guess about something like this.  Primarily because you might have difficulty finding someone who is capable or willing to work on a camera this old. 

Try garrys cameras in illinois.  Shows a flat fee of $78.  Note: I have no experience with this company

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you, I will give them a try. Pro Photo in Washington DC was also suggested, but I haven’t heard from them yet.

normadel
Authority
Authority

What leads you to think the shutter is slow? It is electronically controlled. Slowness is not very likely.

@normadel wrote:

What leads you to think the shutter is slow? It is electronically controlled. Slowness is not very likely.

I think you might be confused about what an Canon A-1 is.

Canon A-1 - Wikipedia

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

It’s definitely the A-1. It also has a sticker showing 1988 from an earlier repair visit on the inside. A 36 year old camera could still need a tune up. The shutter itself is mechanical, only the timer is electronic. Could be a bad battery though, I will check that before sending it to anyone. 

My post wasn’t to you. I don’t doubt you know what your camera is. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Beg your pardon. I know full well what an A-1 is I own one, along with two AE-1 Programs. The shutter speeds are electronically controlled.

I had one many years ago, before I converted to EF. I had to have mine serviced. Repair tech said shutter was sticking. All I know is that whatever was done camera was working again. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Just listening by ear, there’s a significant pause between hearing the shutter open and hearing it close. Could be a bad battery though. I will check.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements