cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 80D LP-E6N battery not fully charging

Imsandy
Apprentice
I’ve been using canon 80d for past 3 years and I’ve been using it occasionally. I haven’t touched my camera for around 2 months recently and I noticed the battery discharged completely. These batteries are from original packing. Again when I charged, the light in charger turns green very quickly and when I put battery in camera it shows only 2 bars. I’ve been trying it again and again but every time I notice it is only partially charged. What does it mean? Does the battery life come to end? What went wrong with batteries?
17 REPLIES 17

Imsandy
Apprentice
It was new camera when purchased and battery came with the camera if there is question about genuineness

@Imsandy wrote:
It was new camera when purchased and battery came with the camera if there is question about genuineness

Batteries do not last forever.  Once you begin to use one, the life expectancy can be 3-5 years, or a couple of hundred recharges.  But, one would expect to get more use out of a battery than you seem to have experienced.  You could also have a bad charger, too.

I suggest that you simply buy a new CANON battery, perhaps even a charger, and move on.  Make sure to only buy your battery gear from an authorized Canon dealer, like B&H Photo Video in Manhattan.  I strongly discourage buying batteries and chargers from Amazon, much less eBay.  There is a lot of counterfeit battery gear out there. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Excellent post. Had cheap copies of Canon LP-E6N sent to me wen I ordered Canon batteries, and they died in months. Help yourself in the future: get a silver Sharpie marker and write the date you purchased the batteries on each: oldest are least reliable.
Chris P. Bacon
F-1; AE-1; EOS 1V, EOS-1D X Mark III, 5D Mk IV, 6D, 6D Mk II, 7D, and 7D Mk II; scads of Canon, Zeiss, and Sigma lenses.

@Waddizzle wrote:  

Make sure to only buy your battery gear from an authorized Canon dealer, like B&H Photo Video in Manhattan.`  

I unwisely asked to be sent two more LP-E6N batteries when I placed an order for B&H. They sent me two Watson LP-E6N batteries, both of which died quickly as they’re lousy batteries.

i should have specified Canon LP-E6N batteries.

Chris P. Bacon
F-1; AE-1; EOS 1V, EOS-1D X Mark III, 5D Mk IV, 6D, 6D Mk II, 7D, and 7D Mk II; scads of Canon, Zeiss, and Sigma lenses.

@ChrisPBacon wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:  

Make sure to only buy your battery gear from an authorized Canon dealer, like B&H Photo Video in Manhattan.`  

I unwisely asked to be sent two more LP-E6N batteries when I placed an order for B&H. They sent me two Watson LP-E6N batteries, both of which died quickly as they’re lousy batteries.

i should have specified Canon LP-E6N batteries.

If you didn't want the Watson batteries, why didn't you just send them back insted of using them? B&H is very good about allowing returns.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"...Watson LP-E6N batteries, ... they’re lousy batteries."

Watson is probably the best of the lousy third world batteries. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I have never tried Watson batteries but I did buy a Watson charger for my Canon XF-400 camcorder batteries instead of waiting MANY hours for them to charge mounted to the camcorder which is the Canon stock solution.  In the year that I have had it, the Watson charger has worked well without fail and I used its ability to charge from its 12 volt adapter for the first time last weekend at a soccer tournament and that also worked well.

The XF-400 didn't cost as much as my EOS 1 series bodies but they really should have included a decent charger with the camcorder but I guess they are doing like every other company in cutting costs when possible.  My EOS 1D Mark II came from the factory with the power adapter and DC coupler unlike my 1DX and 1DX II bodies...

But I am sticking with OEM Canon batteries because those are well worth the extra cost to me.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Imsandy
Apprentice
The charger and battery are genuine. They came with original kit. I’m using this for 3 years but I might have charged the battery only 30 - 40 times totally as I mentioned I was using the camera only occasionally. Is this all the battery’s quality or I’m missing some important guidelines here?

@Imsandy wrote:
The charger and battery are genuine. They came with original kit. I’m using this for 3 years but I might have charged the battery only 30 - 40 times totally as I mentioned I was using the camera only occasionally. Is this all the battery’s quality or I’m missing some important guidelines here?

Where did you buy the camera kit?  Some dealers are better than others.  But, it makes no difference now because any warranty has long since expired.  

I cannot say what happened in your case.  But, I will point out that storage conditions can affect batteries.  They do not like being either too hot or too cold.  Make sure there no foreign objects in the battery compartment.

Again, I suggest that you buy a new battery, perhaps a new charger, and move on.  At this point it makes little sense to speculate.  We do not know what happened, and cannot really determine what happened.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements