cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 70D w/ external mic - No sound playback on camera

AKtoOK
Apprentice

Hello,

I have a Canon 70D. I'm using it with an Audio Technica AT897 mic (with an XLR adapter). For some reason, when I play back recorded footage on the camera, there is no sound except for some very light static. However, when I put the footage on my computer and play it back there, the sound is perfectly fine.

I tried unplugging the mic and recording video with the built in microphone on the camera, and it played back fine. While this isn't a massive issue, it still would be nice to know if there is a fix. That way I will know if and when my external mic needs a replacement battery.

I know it isn't because my volume is turned down...

Has anyone else run into these sort of issues?

13 REPLIES 13

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What happens if you record with the external microphone, and play it back with the external microphone unplugged?

If you suspect a battery problem, why don't you change it?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Mandi
Contributor

Hello all,

Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd try reviving this one as it seems to be the same problem.

I am brand new to this and also have a EOS 70D.

recorded without mic - playback fine

plugged in my external lavalier mic - playback no sound

No settings changed inbetween recordings.

The mic is: Premium 196" Dual-head Lavalier Microphone, Professional Lapel Clip-on Omnidirectional Condenser Mic [link disabled due to forum guidelines]

Any advice?

Mandi, 

We're sorry to hear that the issue persists.  We recommend attempting to try a different microphone with the camera. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

The mic is regularly used with other devices - PC & phone - with no trouble.

Also, looked at the manual and it talks about a wind canceling option and shows the audio screen... mine doesn't have any of that.  It is only showing audio on/off.  Could there be a FW issue?

Mandi, 

The latest version of the firmware is 1.1.3 so please ensure your camera is up to date. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

None of my screens look like the manual shows.

Looking to find the FW version on SETUP screen 4 (according to the manual, that's where it should be).  Only "sensor cleaning" and "battery Info" are listed. 

Mandi, 

The reason may be due to the mode you are in.  If you're not in a Program much such as P, Av, Tv or M then you will not see the comprehensive displayed only in those modes.  The automatic or Basic zone modes do not have the same set of options.  

Yeah, after digging more I found that.  I placed it in P mode, reset settings (just in case), then updated FW.

still no sound with ext mic, only without. 

Does your mic need phantom power?

Announcements