cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 700D/Rebel T5i for Astrophotography

shaysnile65
Apprentice

I'm fairly new to astrophotography and photography in general, I was thinking about getting a 700D as my beginner camera, how does it perform in low light? Is the level of detail pleasing considering it is 18MP unlike some cheap 24MP Nikon sensors? And is it good enough with a kit lens before I buy a prime? Please I'd like to hear some thoughts based on experience I'm kinda lost

7 REPLIES 7

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The T5i is based on the Digic 5 and has a native ISO to 12800.  It doesn't have dual pixel AF

You should not expect to be wowed by its performance in night time or low light.  With it, your lens choices will matter.  

You're going to need some additional equipment (Tripod, telescope, etc.) and one or more lenses.

I would recommend aiming a little higher.  

T7i, T8i, SL3, 80D or 90D

Here's why.  The overall performance differences between the T5i and the bodys I mentioned are better in many key areas.  .

ISO performance

Dual pixel AF

Higher MP's

Trade-offs are made in video support (4k vs. 1080p) and AF performance 9 vs.45), but you'll get better low light performance from any body with a newer image sensor.

T5i or SL3?  The SL3 is a better investment in the long run.  Same AF performance, but the SL3 has better ISO and video capability

So you need to consider what the intended use is.  Nighttime photography or something that performs all around.  Video is important or not important to me, etc.

You have not established a budget, so I'll leave it here.  Others will have additional feedback.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@shaysnile65 wrote:

I'm fairly new to astrophotography and photography in general, I was thinking about getting a 700D as my beginner camera, how does it perform in low light? Is the level of detail pleasing considering it is 18MP unlike some cheap 24MP Nikon sensors? And is it good enough with a kit lens before I buy a prime? Please I'd like to hear some thoughts based on experience I'm kinda lost

Almost any digital camera can capture long exposures.  You reallly do not need stellar high ISO performance.  I think the best way to answer your questions about the T5i would be to call Canon Support and ask if they still service it.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS-Rebel/Canon-Rebel-EOS-T100-Astrophotography/td-p/320870

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I'm fairly new to astrophotography and photography in general,"

I am with Rick. However, I always say the camera you have is better than no camera at all.  I would prefer seeing you get a newer model, a T7i or T8i. As to the kit lens that came with a T5i, I think you will be disappointed but that is a decision you need to make not me. I know I would be. There are prime lenses that are much better for astro work and they are not bank breakers. If all you want is general photography the kit lens will work just fine.

You will need additional gear to shoot the stars.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

zeno10
Apprentice

That's a fantastic astrophotography camera! If you can get the body used, that would be your best bet for putting the money into a 50mm f/1.8 lens. The main criticism is that, due to the crop factor of these entry-level DSLRs, it will be a 77mm f/1.8 lens. However, lenses like the Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 or other brand counterparts can provide that low-light aperture throughout the zoom range, giving you more compositional options.

https://router-address.com/ 

https://whatmyagenow.com/ 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Not wanting to waste millimeters but the 50mil will behave like an 80mm lens on a Rebel. Also, IMHO, it is way down on the list for any astro type work. Its too short for the long stuff and too long for the wide stuff.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Agree Ernie. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements