cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 6D - Overexposed images after standby/power-off, returns to normal after initial shot

Csquared4290
Contributor

Hi guys.

I just recently got back from a long trip and on that long trip, I noticed my 6D has developed an interesting issue.

Here's the deal.

My 6D happens to terribly overexpose an image, but ONLY after being put in stand-by/sleep or being powered-off for an X amount of time.

Once I take a shot after being powered back on again, all returns to normal. 

Below are some examples of what I am experience and you can tell by the RAW data, all the parameters are the same but the exposures are different.

When it began, I did not alter my original settings since getting the camera in January. I tried resetting my factory settings and it still happens. It will happen on pretty much any of my lenses, so this leads me to believe it is an issue with the body (either my 24-105 4L or my Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art)

What say you Canon crew, do I need to send it in for a warranty claim? Your assistance = greatly appreciated. Thanks! 🙂

PS: My next troubleshooting step is to reflash the firmware....I will update this thread accordingly to share if this makes a difference.

Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard04.jpg

Clipboard03.jpg

6 REPLIES 6

Skirball
Authority

It's overexposing the first shot, but the settings are identical?  Yeah, I'd say that's going back to Canon.

Just out of curiosity though, does it happen in JPG too?  Are the shots we're looking at the jpg preview embedded in the RAW, or the RAW file itself?

Skirball, thanks for the fast reply! I figured my 6D is due for a warranty submission...

What I have posted in my OP are the RAW files itself on Lightroom.

I only shoot RAW and don't really bother with JPEGs until post (compression for uploading on the web), so I do not know if this happens with JPEG. 

Yeah, I was just curious about the jpg to see if it's an issue with the raw file or the camera.  It's odd that it doesn't actually change the settings yet the exposures are vastly different.  So I wonder if the EXIF data is incorrect, or if it is somehow discarding luminosity data below a certain level. I'd assume the later, but I suppose it could be boosting the ISO somehow.

I'm not quite sure either. I can reassure you the EXIF data is accurate because I made note of the settings and not changing them on the top LCD. Also, you can see the same result on the camera itself when previewing the pictures. So these are SOOC and this is exactly waht I saw when both snapping the pics and importing/viewing them on LR5.

Tried googling and it doesn't seem anyone else experienced this issue.

Anyway, I just reflashed my firmware again, (was on 1.1.4 when it first came out, just reflashed). I'm going on a media trip over the next two days so I can't submit my camera yet and will have to see if it persists after the firmware flash and if so, will have to deal with it until I can get to Jamesburg (thankfully, I live only 40 min away from Canon's depot here in NJ).

Either way, I'll keep this thread updated, in the event other 6D owners experience this issue.

Oh, I didn't mean if you changed the settings, more that camera actually shot it at a different setting than you made and didn't show it in the EXIF.  The exposures are obviously very different, so there’s no way they were made at the same settings. Either the reported EXIF is wrong for the overexposed image, or something is happening after capture to over-expose it in post (in camera).

The image you review on the viewfinder is actually a jpg that is embedded in the raw file.  So both the raw and the embedded jpg are getting over-exposed somehow. I’m just curious as to the cause.

It’s certainly a rare issue. Is it repeatable? Issues that are hard to replicate are often kicked back from repair services. Thanks for keeping the thread updated with results. I’m not worried that my 6D will suffer a similar fate, but the engineer in me is just curious as to the cause – if they even figure it out.

No bueno on the firmware update...issue persists. I guess I'm filing a claim and driving to Jamesburg!
Announcements