cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5D Mark iii stopped recording video!

ScottESwartz
Apprentice

I was shooting on my new Canon 5d Mark iii yesterday, recording to a 16SD card and using a RODE shotgun mic for sound when a weird image appeared on my live view.  Towards the right of the screen these blocks started piling up.  When there were 4 blocks, my video stopped recording!  I'm talking maybe 10 or 15 second videos here.  My SD was less than half full at the time, and when I hit record again I only got about 10 to 15 seconds more of video recording.  What the heck was going on!?  Please help!

I've drawn a picture of what the blocks lookied like to further illustrate my point.  Thank you!

photo.JPG

23 REPLIES 23

Consider also that this appears to be a relatively common failure with the Mk3 as I've read in either Cinema5D or Planet 5D - cannot recall now.  I've seen much conversation about this topic and from what I remember, the Mk3 does have an actual failure on earlier models which require replacement of the main board of the body to rectify.  If you have warrenty and confirm that a better data card does not rectify the condition - I'd get it in right away for repair.  (I think Canon is aware of a design flaw with regards to this). 

I'm a little worried because I have one of the first examples of this body as well but because I don't really get into video I have not really tested mine to see if my body has the same issues  😞

We just completed a four day shoot that involved a series of takes of 8 minutes each or more. I shoot mostly with a Mark III and high speed cards, 24fps. The overheat problem seems to be exacerbated (in theory anyway) when shooting full raw in Technicolor Cinestyle.  I'm not sure of course, but when shooting in less data intensive formats, the camera seems to be far less prone to an overheat after the 2nd or third extended take.

I've discovered it takes at least 5 full minutes of cool-off to get things rolling again. I'd change cards too. One of my brandf new 32 cards froze almost immediately last week. I think the qwuality control on those things is marginal at best. Hope this helps.

My Mark III has the dreaded Movie Recording has Automatically Stopped. I reformatted 64 mg class 10 card with the same results. Then I used a different 64mg class 10 card with the same results. It can only record for average of 6 seconds before dialog box says movie recording automatically stopped. I was able to shoot movies just fine until today.  I'm really frustrated. I don't know what else to try. I tried letting it cool off and still have same issue. Any ideas out there?

Hi Darren!

Welcome and thank you for posting.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, not all SD cards are the same and just because it is a Class 10 rated card does not mean it can sustain the higher write speeds over a long enough time to record HD video.  Some cards only record at high speeds in short bursts.

What specific brand and write speed rating are the cards you are using?

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Same happened with a 128gb UDMA 7 120MB/s CF card. The camera performed well for 5 days and the buffer sign never showed up eventhough we made long clips 15-20mins. And than suddenly it happened. In a moment I couldn't face the camera top and LCD screen proppely, so i couldn't see that it stopped recording. Any suggestions? Anybody found the rest of the not recorded file(s) back via data recovery program? suggestions for a good program?

thanks for your help!

@question wrote:

Same happened with a 128gb UDMA 7 120MB/s CF card. The camera performed well for 5 days and the buffer sign never showed up eventhough we made long clips 15-20mins. And than suddenly it happened. In a moment I couldn't face the camera top and LCD screen proppely, so i couldn't see that it stopped recording. Any suggestions? Anybody found the rest of the not recorded file(s) back via data recovery program? suggestions for a good program?

thanks for your help!

Are you sure you didn't simply hit the 30-minute limit? (I.e., the arbitrary recording limit imposed by the manufacturer so that EU countries won't tax the camera as a video camera.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

this is discouraging. my experience has taught me only recording to sd cards and long takes causes the 5D camera to stop recording or shut off. i have no solution for this, unless it was a bad card? unlikely, but possible. sandisk does make a data recovery program and i have used it to recover photos, but the data needs to be recorded to the card first. i'm not sure if it can recover only brand memory cards. 

question
Apprentice
Yes very sure it didn't hit the 30min limit.

StefFerret
Apprentice

I'm experiencing the exact same problem but the SD card I'm using is a Lexar 128GB SDXC Class 10, 633x speed 95MB/s and can record 4k video. So what would the problem be with mine? Would it be a faulty camera? It's brand new I literally just bought it 4 weeks ago. Could it be the settings? I really need help on this. Thank you!

your camera is probably fine, just record video to the cf card. record video to the compact flash card slot. change the record to in the yellow menu system. the sd card slot is not fast enough to record video, it does not matter how fast your sd card is, the camera cannot write video data fast enough to the sd card. i talked to canon, they told me the sd card slot was only intended for firmware updates, not to write data such as video or even photos. however, i have used the sd card slot for photos, but am sure to pause between each click to allow the camera to write to the card; when the red light turns off, i take another photo. most of the time i use the compact flash card slot for everything. cf cards are more expensive, but they are more reliable and more shock resistant than sd cards. unfortunately, the new canon 5d mark iv has the same slow sd card slot. after 4 years, i would have expected dual cf card slots plus a writeable sd card slot.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements