cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5D Mark IV stops recording at 30minutes, will not rollover to new file.

Sub7th
Apprentice

Hey all,
My 5D IV keeps stopping at 30 minutes instead of rolling over to a new file.
The card is not full, and doesn't seem to be corrupted, it is a 256GB Sandisk Extreme Pro, 170mb/s
I also format my cards before each new project, so it was formatted (internally) this morning.

I'm recording 1080 all-i at 30fps, using .mov.

Not sure what's going on or if I am doing something wrong / missing a setting.
I haven't had this issue with he camera until yesterday.
Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

I think the 5D IV is limited to 30 minutes max recording.   One workaround is to use an external recorder (see page 388 of the user manual which has a special setting to enable for allowing longer output over HDMI beyond 30 minutes).

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

I think the 5D IV is limited to 30 minutes max recording.   One workaround is to use an external recorder (see page 388 of the user manual which has a special setting to enable for allowing longer output over HDMI beyond 30 minutes).

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@Sub7th,

Ricky hit it on the head.  The 5D4 will only record for up to 30 min.  After the recording stops, you should be able to start filming a new movie file again.  As long as the camera is not overheating, has power and space on its memory card, a new file should be generated.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements