cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't download photos from EOS Rebel T7 via card reader

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Here's the info: Canon T7, San Disk Ultra 32GB (not locked), Lenovo laptop with Windows 11, Firefox browser. Hope that is enough. I have had this problem for about a week. The photos show up on the screen on the camera. I insert the card into the slot on the laptop. I get the "ding" and the screen pops up. After that, nothing but a blank screen for photos. I did this yesterday and let it "sit" for at least a half hour to see if it resurrected. Nothing. Never had this trouble before. Have downloaded loads of photos with this card. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
16 REPLIES 16

You silly people, animal sacrifice is for SCSI, not SD cards. Incense is required for those.

And here, I've always used holy water on SD cards. I wish I knew incense was an option! 

normadel
Authority
Authority

I concur with wq9nsc.  I think it is much preferable to use a USB cable over constant removal-replacing the SD card in the camera.

I have five Canon DSLRs, Powershots G5 and G11 and other pocket digitals. None of them have ever failed to connect via USB and show up on different computers, allowing moving files from memory card to computer, when the files appear on the camera.

USB A-mini B cables are cheap. SD card adapters for a computer are cheap. You can easily try others if one doesn't seem to work. 

A camera should show up in Windows File Manager, Mac or Linux desktops just like an external hard drive or flash drive does. If it does not, after trying cables and card readers, then there is a problem with the camera...either the USB port or more internally.

If you can see photos when reviewing them in-camera, they are on the memory card. Period.

Yep, they are on the card. Tried card slot, USB cable, card reader: nothing. I can download photos from my Android phone with the cable.

John

stevet1
Authority
Authority

I prefer the cable approach too.

Steve Thomas

+1

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Update: I took the laptop to Staples and it checked out negative on viruses, etc. Two guys were most patient as I'm of the slide rule and Univac generation. It seems that Microsoft snuck in an update without notifying anyone. I loaded a card with new photos but this new "system" will take getting use to as it took me a long time to get used to the last one. I think I can stumble through it plus some help from my son and grandson. Grandson works for pizza. I have mixed photos that will need to be sorted and moved to an appropriate file.

Anyway, thanks to all who replied.

John
Announcements