cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I return a defective 32GB memory card for no cost?

AtrD96
Apprentice
I bought a creator kit for my T6i that came with a 32GB Sandisk SDHC card. The card after a while started screwing with my camera when it wouldn't allow me to use playback on movie shooting. I didn't know if it was the camera or the card that was at fault, so I used a micro SD card with the camera later, and the camera worked just fine, which confirmed that it was the card's fault. As for the 32GB card earlier, I tried it again just to make sure if it was really faulty, and it wouldn't even allow me to record for more than 10 seconds.

Basically, the card is faulty all the way through. Reading the warranty rules, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to request a new card or not since the card is technically owned by Sandisk and not Canon even though it was part of the bundle that came with the camera. Am I allowed to request a new card for no charge?
6 REPLIES 6

StanNH
Rising Star

Shouldn't this question be asked of the company that sold it to you?  Email or call them ... if not, Sandisk should cover it as long as you have a receipt for the purchase.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If you bought the Creator Kit from Canon give them a call at 1-800-OK-CANON. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Stephen

Hi AtrD96!

Thanks for reaching out, we're happy to help! We suggest reaching out to our 100% free, US-based support team by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666) during the week from 8am to Midnight (ET), or Saturdays from 10am to 8pm (ET). They're also available by email at Canon.us/EmailFB for customers in the USA. If you're outside the USA, you'll want to go to THIS LINK and select your country or region for support options. 

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@AtrD96 wrote:
I bought a creator kit for my T6i that came with a 32GB Sandisk SDHC card. The card after a while started screwing with my camera when it wouldn't allow me to use playback on movie shooting. I didn't know if it was the camera or the card that was at fault, so I used a micro SD card with the camera later, and the camera worked just fine, which confirmed that it was the card's fault. As for the 32GB card earlier, I tried it again just to make sure if it was really faulty, and it wouldn't even allow me to record for more than 10 seconds.

Basically, the card is faulty all the way through. Reading the warranty rules, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to request a new card or not since the card is technically owned by Sandisk and not Canon even though it was part of the bundle that came with the camera. Am I allowed to request a new card for no charge?

To my knowledge Sandisk warrants all of their Ultra and Extreme card for life and they will replace them with proof of purchase. 

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

Did you format the card in the camera and set the clock and calendar info?

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@AtrD96 wrote:

Follow up on the warranty for the card.  

Never use the micro-SD cards with adapters. They are notoriously unreliable, are not recommended for use by Canon.  Always be sure to perform a low level format on any new SD card in the camera that will use the card.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements