cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I ignore the firmware update (1.0.3) for Canon 6d Mark II?

Lynnea1941
Contributor

I am setting up my new camera and wonder if I could ignore the firmware update 1.0.3 "Corrects an erroneous display that may appear when some third-party accessories are attached to the hot shoe."

I do not use any third-party accessories, so I would not have this problem.

Being unfamiliar with Canon's update program, I wonder if I should do always be up-to-date when there might be an update later that would be helpful.  With other equipment I have had the experience that it isn't good to skip updates.

Any opinions, advice?

5 REPLIES 5

Lynnea1941 wrote:

I am setting up my new camera and wonder if I could ignore the firmware update 1.0.3 "Corrects an erroneous display that may appear when some third-party accessories are attached to the hot shoe."

I do not use any third-party accessories, so I would not have this problem.

Being unfamiliar with Canon's update program, I wonder if I should do always be up-to-date when there might be an update later that would be helpful.  With other equipment I have had the experience that it isn't good to skip updates.

Any opinions, advice?

As with any equipment, it isn't good to skip updates. If you eschew the opportunity to do an update the night before an important shoot, that is understandable.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Peter
Authority
Authority
I wouldn't update. Every firmware update has a small risk of bricking the camera. When the only reason is "third-party accessories are attached to the hot shoe." that you don't use, I would just wait until a useful firmware update is released.

Some people think Canon put secret features in the firmware updates without telling about them, for example better image quality. I have never seen any proof of that.

I still use 1.1.6 for my 6D and 2.0.3 for my 7D. My D30 has the latest and so do my 1000D. 1000D had a firmware bug, 1.0.5, that could brick the whole camera.

@Peter wrote:
Some people think Canon put secret features in the firmware updates without telling about them,

I now remember once. The third party battery warning for people who used non Canon batteries.

I remember this too. Except I don't think it was a warning, rather, after the update third party batteries would no longer work.

I never do updates either. My camera works just fine as it is.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Any opinions, advice?"

Yes, a few!

Generally I agree with Robert who said, "As with any equipment, it isn't good to skip updates."

Will you see any benefit from this current update, probably not.  And if Canon comes out with any future updates you do want, it will include this one.

As a general rule, Canon doesn't add features very often in firmware updates.  They are usually a bug swatter.  Once in a while they do, however, so it is best to do them.  I would do it.

New camera models are for new features not firmware updates!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements