cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera won't focus or take a picture at certain zoom levels

Kelemvor
Apprentice

Howdy,

I have a T1i that I've had for many years.  All of a sudden, the camera will randomly not respond when I press the button to focus/take a picture.  If I then zoom in or out a bit and try again, most times it will decide to take the picture.

I am trying it right now with the 18-55 lens the camera came with.  If I zoom all the way in or out and then slowly start to zoom little by little and press the button halfway each time, eventually it will not respond.  It doesn't focus, doesn't beep to show it's in focus, and doesn't take the picture.  If I then zoom a bit more, it will eventually start working again.  It seems to work fine at either end but has issues in the middle 24-35ish area.

I switched to a different lens and could zoom all the way from one end ot the other and it never had the problem.  I put the 18-55 lens back on and had the problem again.

Could there just be a dirty contact or something on the lens I can clean?  Do I need to take the lens in somewhere to have it serviced?  Not sure where to start as I've never had this problem before.

Thanks!

UPDATE: I just noticed that if I turn off Auto Focus, it will take a picture every time.  So it seems like it's not able to activate the auto focus at certain zoom levels for some reason.

2 REPLIES 2

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Most likely ribbon cable is failing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3zDnwCaS5U

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Do I need to take the lens in somewhere to have it serviced?"

If the lens is the issue it is not a good candidate for repair.  The fact it works as it should with  different lens does suggest yours is faulty.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements