cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera and Lens Recommendations for a $1,500 Budget

KaelH
Apprentice

Hello, I am attempting to look for a camera build (including both the body and lens) with a budget of under $1,500 USD. I want it to be capable of shooting 4k, 30 fps. The camera setup I need should be able to have a good depth of field and should be able to capture action video and photos of the action. I would hope that it is either an APS-C or full-frame sensor. I also am looking for something with a 20MP or greater sensor. Currently, I am looking at the Cannon R50 with both the RF-S 18-45mm f/4.5-6.3 and RF-S 55-210mm f/5-7.1. That together is about $1,029 USD. I would also like to have enough money to buy a reliable camera bag, for about $40 USD, as well as a 256GB SD card, for about $35 USD.

1.JPG

I am mainly looking to see if anyone has any recommendations for me to change anything about what I may be getting. I also am in need of people with a little more knowledge than me on lenses and whether or not to go with the kit lenses or not.

Thanks, KaelH

[Commercial link removed per forum guidelines and replaced with screenshot to serve as visual aid.]

4 REPLIES 4

rs-eos
Elite

While more costly, I strongly recommend a constant aperture zoom lens for video.  e.g. RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM.  That though would eat the vast majority of your budget.  But it would be a very good video lens.   And not as expensive as constant aperture f/2.8 zooms.

Pairing that with an EOS R50 would run around $2,000 total.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Would it be bad to start with just a 50mm and then as I get more experienced, start saving for the RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM? Is it also smart to consider using EF lenses?

Thanks, KaelH

You could definitely start with just a 50mm.  That will be tough for video work since it's just a single focal length.  Though assuming this is the f/1.8 version, that would be quite inexpensive and would provide good low light capability.

However, there's no IS in that lens.   There is a fairly inexpensive RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM lens though some have said it is loud, so you'd probably want to have your microphone as far away from it as possible.

You can get EF lenses, but would need an EF to RF adapter (Canon brand strongly recommended).  Though if you can, going to RF lenses would protect your investment alot more.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Okay, so as we've been talking I've been watching more videos and doing more research, and I've run into a re-occurring theme of the Cannon EOS R10 and Cannon EOS RP being brought up in conversation about the R50. So another question is what camera, if I expand my budget to $1800, would be a better option? One thing that I would like is less clustered buttons and wheels. What camera should I look at if I want to maintain good camera quality, somewhat good IBIS, and just overall a good pick?

Thanks, KaelH

Announcements