cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera Strap That Won't Damage Clothing?

MELODY7
Apprentice

Hi guys, just noticed that the camera strap my Canon came with was basically scraping against the threads of my clothes and was wondering what would be your recommened strap?  Thank you in advance!

10 REPLIES 10

@MELODY7 wrote:

Hi guys, just noticed that the camera strap my Canon came with was basically scraping against the threads of my clothes and was wondering what would be your recommened strap?  Thank you in advance!

FWIW, I use 1.5-inch Domke straps. They have swivel points that keep the strap from getting tangled, and I don't look like a walking advertisement for Canon.

My wife, OTOH, is partial to the Canon straps. To each his own.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I use "sling" style straps... e.g. Black Rapid (but there are a few others).  

On my Black Rapid straps, the edges for the sholder pads are wrapped and stitched ... there are no raw cut edges.  

Another brand is Carry Speed ... very similar to Black Rapid straps but the plate they use on the camera is different.

Both of these brands finish the edges on the shoulder pads so there are no raw cut edges to chafe the fabric.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

While I grew up using CANON straps and like them they can cause neck pain after a full day of sightseeing.  They never harmed any of my clothing.

When I purchased my 6D2 last year, I purchased a black rapids sport breathe.  Man, what a difference in comfort.  That and how nice it is to have use of both hands, all while having your camera within easy reach.  Once you aclimate its like drawing a gun, flipping off the safety (turning on thr power) and shooting.  it has become a fluid motion for me.  i love it. 

This works extremely well for me, but we all use our cameras differently.  I second what TCampbell says.  No rough edges on BR straps.  Like many things "photography" you get what you pay for.  Try a few different styles and see what works best for you. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@MELODY7 wrote:

Neck straps are not practical with my full body cameras and professional grade lenses.  My choice is driven by protecting my gear.  Sometimes I use a Black Rapid Sport, provided I wil not do a lot of walking and moving around.  

If I am moving or walking a lot, like on a hike in the woods to a bird pond, then I use my Lowepro holster.  The holster protects the camera against bangs and bumps, both against trees and my hip does not get banged up to boot.  The holster has a sling strap, and a waist strap to keep it from bouncing and swinging as I climb steep trails.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

MELODY7
Apprentice

Thank you for your replies guys.  What I've noticed is that the part of the camera strap which makes it adjustable, that material is what's specifically causing the damage to my clothing when I throw the camera on my shoulder and across my body.  Has anyone had any experience with leather straps?  I ask because from what I've seen most of these leather straps are adjustable with different material.

@MELODY7 wrote:

Thank you for your replies guys.  What I've noticed is that the part of the camera strap which makes it adjustable, that material is what's specifically causing the damage to my clothing when I throw the camera on my shoulder and across my body.  Has anyone had any experience with leather straps?  I ask because from what I've seen most of these leather straps are adjustable with different material.

I thought you were referring to the raw cut (unfinished edge) on the part that goes around your neck (with the Canon logo).  The nylon webbing usually isn't a problem.  

I think of two directions:  (1) find clothing that wont be damaged or wear something to protect what you wear or (2) find a different way to hold the camera.

So on point #1

I typically just wear fairly normal shirts made out of cotton fabric.   There are photographers who will wear a photo "vest" (usually because these vests are loaded with pockets to carry "stuff") but apart from chaning what you wear when you do a shoot, I suppose you could wear something protective like a vest.  

On point #2

Other alternatives are to use things that don't involve straps.  For example, Cotton Carrier makes these clips that the camera snaps into (e.g. a photographer might wear a belt-clip and they 'snap' the camera into the clip (almost as if they are "holstering" it) when not shooting, but un-clip to resume shooting.  For security against dropping the camera, you can install a hand-strap -- and now there's no strap going around your body.

Car seat-belts are also nylon webbing ... but they use a weave that is very smooth.  Off the top of my head, I'm not sure if there anyone out there who uses a strap with that smoother finish.  I think Peak Design straps might use this type of webbing on their straps but I'm not that familiar with their stuff.

The "sling" type straps typically have the strap remain stationary and the camera can slide up and down the strap (the strap isn't being rotated around your body when you raise or lower the camera).   Some photographers who use the Canon factory strap (or any traditional "neck" strap) will hang the camera on their shoulder for comfort... and then roll it around to shoot.  But I can easily see how doing that repeatedly would chafe the fabric.  Sling-type straps don't need to move (you might want to checkout a video showing how they work.  All the vendors have YouTube videos demo-ing their stuff.

Black Rapid

Carry Speed

Cotton Carrier

Peak Design

etc.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

The Domke straps have two or three rubberized strips on the side that goes against your shirt. I guess that's supposed to keep the strap from moving and sawing into the cloth. I wouldn't say that it's foolproof, but it seems to work well enough. I've never noticed any damage to my shirts.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

My most favorite straps are the Canon CPS shoulder strap.  It is made by OP/TECH USA so yo udon't have to join CPS to get one.  The other is the Black Rapid Sport.  It is nice because it is mostly hands free but the camera is right there ready for instant use.

When I shoot weddings I use the Canon Hand Strap E2 almost exclusively.

Gosh, I would think leather would be worse on your clothes. But maybe not.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

@jimmyvarther.  Welcome.

This is a 4+ year old thread.  😉

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements